public land softwear for GPS

yes, you are correct. There are some units without internal memory, so you would have to save waypoints on the SD card

Thanks Len. But just to be 100 % sure, I can save waypoints and their labels on the sd card with the state maps?

Been playing with this for a few weeks now and it's great. In the general deer area I hunt sometimes, boundaries can get a little sketchy. Plan on using this a lot during this off season.

I didn't think some compatible units had internal memory, only sd card memory. So, if you want to save a point and label that point, can you save it on a the sd card with the state land ownership maps, or do you have to put in another sd card? I am thinking about getting a new GPS, so I am not necessary that familiar with what you can or can't do with them as far as this product is concerned. Thanks. Rich

Dear Rich,
Yes, you can still save waypoints, tracks, etc with the state chip. I am looking at the comparison chart of all the handheld GPS units right now, and though some of them have NO User memory or ONLY external memory, they all still have memory allotted for anywhere from 500-2000 waypoints, 20-200 routes, and 10-200 saved tracks (even the eTrex Legend H)

The Montana landowner Names map has only the name.

I am on the road coming back from Montana. I spent 2 days doing some deer hunt scouting of some private land that is in block management.

WOW, was it great to have my GPS map with me. At all times I knew I was on the right land. Often I was right up against the boundaries.

I spent 2 other days hunting coyotes on non-block management but private land.

I'll be writing an article about my experiences, including the ability to project boundary lines onto Google Earth and then use that for planning purposes.

The Montana landowner Names map has only the name.

I am on the road coming back from Montana. I spent 2 days doing some deer hunt scouting of some private land that is in block management.

WOW, was it great to have my GPS map with me. At all times I knew I was on the right land. Often I was right up against the boundaries.

I spent 2 other days hunting coyotes on non-block management but private land.

I'll be writing an article about my experiences, including the ability to project boundary lines onto Google Earth and then use that for planning purposes.

Will the map show block management land as block management ?

Wow.... My wife and I have 6 hrs fighting to install all this on a new Garmin Oregon 300 , from Garmin, GPS maps site to the gps unit. Not user friendly at all. I guess this is over my head. I took it outside and it looks just like it did before I started...

Very frustrated... anyone know how to run one of these?

Jeff

Broz,

What specific programs are you trying to install? I could probably help you on this. There are certain steps that have to be done, but once you figure it out it will be a snap. I had the same troubles at first and had a buddy that was a computer geek(who had never held a GPS) show me the process. Over 35 maps on my gps/sd card now and adding more that I find on different websites.

Broz, sorry for your frustration. I hate it when that happens to me with some new bit of technology. And it seems so easy the 2nd time around. Doesn't seem fair. I hope your marriage survives. :)

The map version sold on a memory card is much easier than the download version which you got -- and which I have just started offering. It does involve using your computer to install on your handheld. And of course the big advantage is that you can use it on your computer for planning. And can still transfer it to your hand held.

I hope now that you've gone through all that pain and suffering that it will turn out to be worth it for your ranch management needs.

For those who are more computer savvy, as you told me you are not, it isn't too bad.

I'll be writing an article (today and tomorrow) about using the download version along with Google Earth for hunt planning. Amazing combination of tools.

Last edited:
Len, My wife works on line for a major corperation and is way better with computers than I am. The down loads from Garmin (mapsource) and the other would not even install on my laptop with XP. So we tried installing it on my desk top PC. It was a bear as the software (GPS MAPS) tutorial left out many steps that we had to figure out blind. After all the smoke cleared and two downloads of almost two hours loading time, it said it was transfered to the GPS unit ok. But when I turned it on it had a box on the GPS screen that said " maps could not be unlocked " and an ok button. With no other choice I touched the "OK" and the unit turned on. But the map dose not show any of the boundries and looks just as it did before I started the install. All I got was more grey hair...:rolleyes:

I was hopin to get it going as I have to be in court today at 9 am and this in working order could have provided maps.

Oh well... If there is something I can try that is simple I am game. But if this needs to be loaded and set up by an avid computer programmer that can write the program I am done here.

Another thought would be to send all this to someone that can get it going, or sell it all and goback to the old tried and true program I have been using.

Respectfully
Jeff

Broz,

What specific programs are you trying to install? I could probably help you on this. There are certain steps that have to be done, but once you figure it out it will be a snap. I had the same troubles at first and had a buddy that was a computer geek(who had never held a GPS) show me the process. Over 35 maps on my gps/sd card now and adding more that I find on different websites.

Elkaholic72, Thank You so much for offering to help. It seems I may have one of a new disign and I feel that it may take more than I am capable of doing.

I appreciate your eagerness to help me, but I am on hold for now.

Thanks so much!!

Jeff

Ah...yes. The main problem you had was in installing the Garmin base program onto your computer. For those who are already Garmin computer users, that step is already done. The hunting map is MUCH easer to install.

Hang in there, you'll find it worth the effort. And the computer education you get from this will help you with other unrelated computer needs.

But I still feel your pain.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.