PT&G replacement bolt head spacing Remington 700

tacsniper0888

Hey guys I have another question. I have a factory Remington 700 Sendero in .338 win mag I'm transforming into a long range precision rig. Timney trigger replacement or possibly skimping by with a factory X-Mark Pro for now backed as far down as possible and replacing the H-S Precision stock with a Bell & Carlson fully adjustable A-5. It has a Millett LRS-1 scope 6-25X56 35 mm tube mil-dot bar glass etched reticle with Millett solid one piece aluminum 20moa base with vortex precision matched low mount rings. I want to replace my bolt with the PT&G one piece fluted bolt they offer for my application for both looks and function. It's absolutely beautiful with a badger knob and the badger knob also aids in rapid bolt manipulation as well it is milled for an M-16 style extractor which I will be putting a badger extractor in. I would LOVE to do this upgrade but looking at $350 plus for parts I don't want to spend $500 paying someone to do it if I could. I am moderately to highly mechanically inclined as I am a diesel heavy equipment mechanic. Can anyone help me here? Thanks guys.

Yes. You could possibly do it yourself. But, there are some things to consider pertaining to safety and performance.

Assuming you've got the bolt and handle all assembled, you still have to lap your lugs (easy enough) and set the headspace.

Depending on the situation and desired results, some might be able to do this with hand tools. However, a professional gunsmith will chuck it all up and dial it in on a lathe and get everything true and correct.

Ideally, you also want a good fit and trueness through the whole of the bolt raceway. As such, a pro may ream the raceway and order a precision ground oversize bolt.

Even if you can find hand tools to assist with all this, it's doubtful that you'll get the same results as you would from a good smith with the right tools.

Good luck
-- richard

I would say you are better off to send your bolt to someone to be fluted, handle and an M-16 extractor installed and lap the luggs. Then put a Callahan speed-lok in the bolt then you dont have to mess with headspacing. sure the PT&G bolt is better but if your not truing everything else a fancy bolt wont do you much good. and it will save you some money. You will still have a very nice bolt.

And after all the custom work on my bolt it would still be cheaper than buying the replacement bolt and paying the smith to do the work? What is this speed lock device your talking about? How does it eliminate the necessity to headspace the bolt?

Speed-lok is just a new firing pin, spring and shroud. You wont have to re head space because your rifle is already head spaced for that bolt. if you do all the work on your bolt you will all but have a custom bolt but you wont be paying someone to re headspace your rifle. Bolt fluting throught Twisted Barrel in douglas wyoming is only 60-75 bucks the extractor and bolt handle shouldnt bee too much and a speed lok is like $60

Fluting the existing bolt that presumably already has proper headspace should not alter the geometry nor current headspace.

The speedlock does the following according to the Mfg...
"These firing pins are made with an aluminum alloy shaft that is permanently bonded to a steel firing pin point. The lighter weight reduces lock time by approximately 40%. Assemblies include a firing pin, firing pin spring, bolt shroud and cocking piece."

-- richard

Fluting the existing bolt that presumably already has proper headspace should not alter the geometry nor current headspace.

The speedlock does the following according to the Mfg...
"These firing pins are made with an aluminum alloy shaft that is permanently bonded to a steel firing pin point. The lighter weight reduces lock time by approximately 40%. Assemblies include a firing pin, firing pin spring, bolt shroud and cocking piece."

-- richard
I forgot to add that pertinent info thanks Scott

I forgot to add that pertinent info thanks Scott

I knew what you were getting at. I just wasn't familiar with Callahan. Since I googled it, I figured I'd post what I found at Midway.

lots of choices and decisions to make... no shortage of ways to spend your hard earned money

-- richard

Thanks guys for all the great info!!! If I use my current bolt I would like to have it polished then fluted. I'm CeraKoting the barreled action and want to CeraKote the flutes but leave the larger main diameter of the bolt body polished. Can the company in Douglas Wyoming do this also? Do you happen to know what average turn aroun time is and also a phone number and a website for them? What is the actual gain/benefit from the speed lock device? As it would pertain to my application, a long range precision rifle? I'm not engaging multiple targets on a time limit I'm looking for perfect shot on one target. Thanks again guys, y'all are such a great help to a newbie.

Thanks guys for all the great info!!! If I use my current bolt I would like to have it polished then fluted. I'm CeraKoting the barreled action and want to CeraKote the flutes but leave the larger main diameter of the bolt body polished. Can the company in Douglas Wyoming do this also? Do you happen to know what average turn aroun time is and also a phone number and a website for them? What is the actual gain/benefit from the speed lock device? As it would pertain to my application, a long range precision rifle? I'm not engaging multiple targets on a time limit I'm looking for perfect shot on one target. Thanks again guys, y'all are such a great help to a newbie.

As to the speed lock device...

The idea is to reduce lock time which in turn minimizes potential movement from the moment the trigger breaks until ignition. The degree to which it improves your long range accuracy depends on a number of factors.

A novice with poor wind reading skills may not notice any improvement at long range.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.