PRS Tripod used for a Hunting Tripods

Metzger

I have a few different kinds of hunting tripod stocks and now looking at a PRS style tripod with hog saddle for a more stable standing shot. What are you using?

I got the new Hog saddle PIG tripod, and put a Really Right Stuff universal leveling base on top. Also put some arca plates on my rifles and hard-mounted them to the RRS head. This is often referred to as a pretty solid setup, according to the research I did before purchasing. I tried standing, kneeling, and sitting shots. I tried all the different sling stabilization methods.

I couldn't make consistent hits on a 12" steel plate at 400 yards to save my life. And that's a chip shot for me usually from a prone position off a bipod and a rear bag. Perhaps it is something that takes a tremendous amount of practice to get good at, but the juice just wasn't worth the squeeze for me. I just couldn't see how it could offer enough advantages in a hunting situation to warrant the $500+ investment in equipment, plus lugging all that crap around.

From a quick hunting situation standing shot, it'll be far more stable than offhand. When I use my PIG saddle and tripod, I'll only go as high as a sitting shot with it because of the stability. At that height, I can fully support my right arm and wrap a sling nicely for good shots. I agree with the standing height, way too loose for long shots even when steadied up with a sling.

From a quick hunting situation standing shot, it'll be far more stable than offhand. When I use my PIG saddle and tripod, I'll only go as high as a sitting shot with it because of the stability. At that height, I can fully support my right arm and wrap a sling nicely for good shots. I agree with the standing height, way too loose for long shots even when steadied up with a sling.
Unless I have something to brace my shoulder against or another bipod on the rear of the rifle as well I'm the same way as far as standing shots over 300 yards. Even a mild wind will blow you around enough to cause issues.

As for what I use, the Jim Shockey trigger Sticks II tripod and either the Trigger sticks II bipod on the rear or find a tree, post, or something else to brace my shoulder against.

I also picked up a nice heavy duty Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod cheep one night on Ebay that I'm eventually going to pair with a hog saddle just to try out or just make something similar out of wood.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.