Proof carbon barrel?

Proof is making some dang accurate barrels right now. Steel or carbon. I just got my first carbon and I think it's the prettiest part of the rifle. Especially in the sun. I really only bought it for the looks and I had a sendero barrel channel stock needing a barrel.
Shep

Does anybody on here shoot any carbon barrels? I'm thinking about going to a proof carbon barrel, for my calling rifle. I would like a thicker barrel but don't want the weight. I run a surpressor so that's kind of why I want the bigger contour but I don't want a super heavy gun. How are they for heating up and cooling down? Does the carbon insulate the barrel making it harder to cool, or does the carbon help suck the heat out of the barrel? Does the barrel heat up faster? Any advice would be great.

The wrapped barrels are to add strength while removing weight. I'm unfamiliar with what added benefit that may provide. I know, everyone knows that: But a cautionary tale; some owners have used those barrels in high volume matches, which resulted in the wrap delaminating from the barrel due to the high sustained heat.

Does anybody on here shoot any carbon barrels? I'm thinking about going to a proof carbon barrel, for my calling rifle. I would like a thicker barrel but don't want the weight. I run a surpressor so that's kind of why I want the bigger contour but I don't want a super heavy gun. How are they for heating up and cooling down? Does the carbon insulate the barrel making it harder to cool, or does the carbon help suck the heat out of the barrel? Does the barrel heat up faster? Any advice would be great.

Go for it. I own one proof and have shot many rifles chambered with proof barrels, they shoot very well. You will have a larger mating surface for your can and it will help balance the rifle better by getting some weight off the muzzle end. As far as barrel heat, your hear claims from CF barrel manufactures that CF barrels dissipate heat. From what I understand this is true but can be misleading as most assume the heat is dissipated through the exterior surface into the atmosphere. Obviously the heat is not escaping through carbon wrapped resin which is why the barrel is cool to the touch after a 10 shot string. Now there are some resins that dissipate heat to an extent but the ratio in CF barrels has more carbon than resin and CF is an insulator. The heat is dissipated linearly down the barrel away from the throat(probably only a few inches). The reason you can shoot long shot strings through these light contoured steel barrels that are CF wrapped is as the steel heats up the properties change and it becomes more flexible. The CF/resin exterior is not affected by the heat and barely changes temps so the rigidity is relatively unchanged keeping the harmonics consistent as the steel heats up. One of the big questions is with more heat staying in the barrel does this shorten barrel life? I haven't shot one out or know anyone that has since these are generally used on hunting rifles, but if it does shorten barrel life I doubt it will be enough to worry about especially on a calling rifle. A CF barrel is the way to go on rifle you want to run suppressed but don't want it to be really heavy. It's not important to some ppl but I also like the looks of the woven carbon on the exterior of the barrel as well as the aesthetically pleasing look of a larger contour barrel. To effectively run a can with a #5 contour or larger that has a .750" MD even fluted will be quite a bit heavier than a CF barrel with a .950" MD and not balance as well.

I have 6 soon to be 8 rifles w/ carbon barrels. All shoot very well. I would like to try one the new paradigm carbon barrels, they have rock creek liners I believe. Their light cobtour 0.700" muzzle @ 26" is 2.2#. Patriot Valley has tested them to half moa after 50 shot strings. Idk I love techy *Rule 4 Violation*, and carbon barrels are just that. They're spendy tho.
Good info! If you get one please let us know what you think

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts