Production Raptor LRSS photos

Also, this receiver would use a much lighter weight two piece base system which again, would drop weight. The main problem with two piece bases is keeping them in one spot. As such, I would have them pinned to the receiver just as the FL base is triple pinned.

I've gone to one-piece aluminum bases manufactured by Glen Seekins. He uses the 7075 grade of aluminum - tougher than the 6000 series of Al. Just as light a two piece steel bases, and gets rid of the problem of keeping two small sections of base secured to the receiver. Just a thought... which you've probably already considered! :)

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for some upcoming photos of your lighter weight (Stalker) version.

Phorwath,

You are certainly correct in that the Seekins rail is a good one and very light. I use ALOT of them on my Borden based custom rifles for customers.

My desire to have an open topped receiver design on my Raptor Stalker IS to drop some weight but also to allow the use of internal mag boxes that are loaded from the top. The relatively small ejection port on the current Raptor design greatly limits the ability to top load a magazine such as a Wyatt extended mag box, especially with any chambering the diameter of a RUM or larger.

The open top would GREATLY improve the ability to top feed this receiver and the plan to have a two piece base also frees up this area to load big fat cartridges in a haste if needed.

My main concern with a two piece base is not keeping them solid, two pins in each base will certainly keep things plenty solid. My main concern is proper alignment with the receiver. With a one piece rail, its no issue at all, with two pieces, may have to do a bit more ring lapping but there are methods to getting things extremely close to begin with, then pin and your pretty much there.

Again, you are certainly correct, Seekins rails are very light and very good quality, I would still have to pin them in my larger chamberings especially with the PK muzzle brake.

Thanks for your input as always, great points.

Kirby,
She was everything I dreamed about and then some:) Can't wait to pull that trigger. Were you going to get me started with a recommended load too?

Excellent, thanks for the reply!:cool:

Cheers.

CentreHit,

One set of rings are set up to control recoil energy, the other two are to support the scope for the stress of extreme deceleration caused by the muzzle brake.

Its not absolutely needed on the Raptor class rifles, I do this on my Xtreme Heavy Sporters in 338 and 375 Allen Magnums and in those cases it IS a requirement to keep the scope in its fixed location. As mentioned, its overkill on the Raptor but all of you know I am a BIG fan of OVERKILL!!!! :D

Kirby,

OK sounds good. I've got the 300gr SMK's on the way so I'm almost ready to play! Yeah:) Any recommendations on bore guides? I forgot to order one with the bullets.

Kirby,

Have you put one of these together with the Manners GAT as a Stalker version yet?

Kirby,
Do you have a picture of a Raptor Stalker put together or possibly of the stalker contour barrel ?

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts