procedure for load develpment

dmax1800

I'm new to reloading and need to know the proper procedure to develop a load. What is the correct order : experimenting with seating depth, experimenting with different powders and experimenting with different bullets. I'm confused. Please help...

I'm new to reloading and need to know the proper procedure to develop a load. What is the correct order : experimenting with seating depth, experimenting with different powders and experimenting with different bullets. I'm confused. Please help...

you'll get as many answers as there are people. I test powder weight first...usually in .4 grain increments because works well for me. once I find a load that has decent accuracy and fits what I need for MV, I start to fiddle with seating depth

I do the exact opposite! I take 2 or 3 bullets and ladder test for seating depth (using one powder/charge weight). I'll narrow down to 1 or 2 bullets at their best OAL, and then I start altering powders and charges.

As stated above, lots of different methods. Play around and see what works for you, just do it in a systematic way.

Good luck!

I pick a bullet and powder ,get the OAL from a load book ,with .308 i work up from low to high in .5 grain steps,i use .3 increments in .223. Usually have 8 to 10 loads in a set ,i would shoot al least two sets at 200+ yards and compare the tagets and you will have a good load when youre done. Then you can fine tune with OAL tuning.

I pick a bullet and powder ,get the OAL from a load book ,with .308 i work up from low to high in .5 grain steps,i use .3 increments in .223. Usually have 8 to 10 loads in a set ,i would shoot al least two sets at 200+ yards and compare the tagets and you will have a good load when youre done. Then you can fine tune with OAL tuning.

This post made me think of a question to ask the original thread starter: what are you loading for? The way crowsniper works up his loads is similar to what I have done for semi-autos, where OAL is less of a tool because of feeding considerations. On the other hand, I do not have a bolt gun where the best shooting load was even close to book OAL.

Pressure test for me, the seating depth after max safe working pressure is established, back off 2 full grains and do seating depth work.

Since your new, note that the deeper you seat your bullet the lower your pressure will be, and the opposite is true for seating your bullets out long, pressure will increase but so will case volume.

So In short I have 2 or 3 different reloading manuals at my disposal, so I will use the book min and a starting point and go up in 1 gr increments for 5 rounds until I reach the books max. If at the books max I do not have any signs of pressure I will go further but in smaller increments 1/2 a grain or less. If you have a reloading manual read it! If you don't go buy one.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.