Problems with .223 Remington reloads

DanRPhD

I had one of my reloads get stuck going in to the chamber of my rifle. When I got the round out (and my fingers are still sore) I measured it with my caliper at .374 inches. The NRA Handloading book gives the measure for the case, just above the extractor grove, as .3759. I also have a chamber block made by EGW that I bought from Brownells. It has 7 "chambers" in the block for 5.56mm. Chamber one will accept 99 out of 100 reloaded rounds. Chamber two will reject 60% of rounds accepted by chamber one. All the rounds measure, as I have said, at .374. My rifle has, up until now, fired and cycled every round I have put through it. The round that stuck was number 39 that I had fired that day. And after the first 30 rounds I stopped shooting and spent a good fifteen minutes to pick up brass. ( I always leave the range with more brass than I shoot.)

This rifle has functioned completely on days I have fired 6 to 8 full magazines with no problems. And no cooling time more than five minutes as I mover false walls to set up different training ideas.

So, please, someone who has more knowledge than I do give me some good advice as to what measuring to do as I reload my magazines. I do not want to destroy my rifle.

Thanks in advance.

My guess is shoulder was not not bumped back quite enough. I assume this is an AR? Older work hardened brass will spring back or if your picking range brass could just be an oversized older piece that was fired in someone else chamber. Seen this often with work hardened brass.

This is the problem with picking up brass at the range. You don't know how many times it has been reloaded, or at what pressure. Venatic is likely correct in his guess that the brass is work hardened from multiple reloading without annealing and is springing back after sizing.

I pick up plenty of 5.56 and 223 rem, among others, myself. I try to limit myself to brass that I see come out of a new box and hit the ground. If the other shooter leaves their brass I politely ask if they mind if I pick up the brass. If they say yes, I ask if it was new or a reload. If it was new I'll just trim and load as usual. If it was anything else it gets annealed.

It is not recommended that you shoot 5.56 in a 223 Rem chamber. there is not as much freebore and neck clearance as in the 5.56. In some chambers it can be done but some of the ammo for the 5.56 is on the hot side for the 223 chamber.

The cure is to shoot only 223 Rem SAMMI ammo or touch the chamber with a 223 Wilde reamer that will allow you to shoot both cartridges safely. If you pick up brass at the range you never know what it has been fired in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=223....69i57j0l7.11597j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

J E CUSTOM

Chambers is 5.56
EGW block is 5.56
loading is for .223
Powder is IMR 4064 24.5gr
Bullet is 55gr FMJBT Sierra
Rifle barrel is PSA 20 inch

sorry this is just poor info.
he used cases, not 556 ammo
Nearly all 556 ammo is so lawyered it will work in MOST GUNS.
THE exception would be a hot 556 in a tight chambered bolt gun
BUT
the pressure limits of the two are so close( tho diff specs) you may pop a primer, but not blow up a gun.

It is not recommended that you shoot 5.56 in a 223 Rem chamber. there is not as much freebore and neck clearance as in the 5.56. In some chambers it can be done but some of the ammo for the 5.56 is on the hot side for the 223 chamber.

The cure is to shoot only 223 Rem SAMMI ammo or touch the chamber with a 223 Wilde reamer that will allow you to shoot both cartridges safely. If you pick up brass at the range you never know what it has been fired in.

https://www.google.com/search?q=223....69i57j0l7.11597j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

J E CUSTOM

As with many reloads if your problems are like this go to small base dies that will generally resolve the problem and be sure you are fully seating the brass into the die
as to manufacturing instructions. that should end your problem.

J E CUSTOM
Why would a manufacture stamp 223/ 5.56 NATO on the barrel?

only for the first reload that was NOT fired in your rifle, then go back to a std die.
small base is ok when moving brass from one rifle to another, but only that first time.

As with many reloads if your problems are like this go to small base dies that will generally resolve the problem and be sure you are fully seating the brass into the die
as to manufacturing instructions. that should end your problem.

sorry this is just poor info.
he used cases, not 556 ammo
Nearly all 556 ammo is so lawyered it will work in MOST GUNS.
THE exception would be a hot 556 in a tight chambered bolt gun
BUT
the pressure limits of the two are so close( tho diff specs) you may pop a primer, but not blow up a gun.

The key word is most guns. you are correct in your description but who wants to blow primers or stick cases in the chamber when all you have to do is use the right ammo for the chamber. If you want to shoot 556 ammo then you should chamber and load for the 556, If not it is an easy fix with the 223 Wilde reamer

The 556 ammo/loads are hotter and typically the 556 has more freebore to handle the higher pressure.

The cases are almost identical with the exception of the neck chamber diameter. but in many 223 chambers there is not enough freebore for the 556 loads, hence the warning. 556 ammo will not blow up a rifle unless it is loaded to hot and then it is common to blow primers.

If the manufacture stamps 223 and 556 on the barrel he should have taken care of the difference and he probably will chamber it in 556 for the hotter loads. If you are having trouble then it could be another problem.

All i am saying is not to use data or ammo that is not for the chamber you have.

J E CUSTOM

Chambers is 5.56
EGW block is 5.56
loading is for .223
Powder is IMR 4064 24.5gr
Bullet is 55gr FMJBT Sierra
Rifle barrel is PSA 20 inch

If the chamber is a 556 chamber you should not have any problems with ether load.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.