problem with 700 safety

xander

Im having a problem with my 700 adl.When Im in cold weather,my rifle fires when I flip off the safety.The problem seems to occur when the temp is below 25 degrees.It did it last year, I had the trigger rebuilt it would not do it during the off season at the range, but this year in cold weather again it fired when taking the safety off. I am thinking about putting a three position Gentry safety and a new trigger on it. Will this solve the problem? Has anyone else had this problem? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!!

The First thing I would Knot Use It In tell It Is Check Out an Fixed Buy an Gunsmith .

Then Call Remington ..

They Have had Problem With Some Rem 700 Having this to Happen to other REmington 700 RiflesOnwers .

Remington will tell to send it to an Remington Gunsmith to Fix it .

All they will DO will put an New Trigger on it .

You can Fix it your Self by Take it to an Gunsmith an Have them Check it Out an He will Put an Trigger On it For you .

Terry

it sounds like its just out of adjustment , a Gentrey unit will fix that but it aint cheap. A new trigger should also fix it. I've seen stuff like that happen when guys want a 1lb trigger froma factroy remington trigger.

On the new trigger I've had them tuned down by some serious competent gunsmiths in my area after I failed. After I got it back from the smith it would still fire if the safety was moved from the on position. It seems with the new trigger it's pretty tuff to get below 2/1/2 pounds with out this prob.

It sounds like your trigger has two possible problems. First, could be that the pull adjustment spring has been turned down too much, and doesn't exert enough pressure against the sear. If you have a light trigger pull, you should probably get one of the Holland "light" springs, which is a longer spring that will work with lighter pulls. The other issue could be too little sear engagement, which is set by the screw on the back of the trigger. Check to see if the screws are coated with some form of sealant. Some smiths don't coat the screws after they adjust them, and they can wiggle loose. I would fix both of these issues before using that rifle again.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.