Problem if action screw threads are touching bedding block?

the444shooter

As the title says, will there be unwanted binding/torque in the action if there is evidence of the threads of the action screws touching the bedding block? Stock in question is a Bell and Carlson with the aluminum bedding block. It's as if the action (Winchester Model 70) is sitting too far forward and it looks like the threads of the action screw are digging into the front of the screw hole in the stock.
Could I just drill out some relief in the front of the screw hole so there is not contact between the screw threads/shank and bedding block?

I can see the thread marks on the front of the front screw hole, but I'll have to check the rear tomorrow. Will also try and get a picture.

it's the tang that prevents it--the action is sitting snuggly in its mold in the stock, no room for the action to move back unless I remove material from the tang recess.
Is the recoil lug preventing the action from moving back a bit and having the screws line up?

Action screws should not be in contact with the pillars. Be careful drilling them out as the B&C pillars can spin. Use an appropriate size drill bit.

Luckily it's a bedding block, so no pillars to be concerned about. It *should* be a simple drilling process to open it up a touch. Right...........?

If the action screw is in contact with the pillar or the bedding block, It is acting like the recoil lug and Yes this will cause problems. From your description, all you need to do is drill or ream it out for clearance. The other solution is to bed the bedding block to center the action over the action screws and improve the contact between the lug and the block.

I make it a point to bed all embeds to get the best fit and 100% contact and relieve the action screws so they can do their only job. (Apply tension without any side load).
Embeds are very good, but they don't/can't perfectly fit every action, but they make a great foundation for bedding.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

This is the best picture I could get, and clearly shows the indentions of the action screw in the bedding block. Gun has also been skim bedded, which unfortunately, seems only to make it more secure in having screw/block contact. Rear screw is also making similar contact, but could not get a picture of it due to poor lighting.

Attachments

• 9FF7B235-C170-459A-A980-04CA112EE3E3.png
    9FF7B235-C170-459A-A980-04CA112EE3E3.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 264
If you don't the the ability or tooling to set that up in a fixture to drill it, You could get a reamer 20-25 thou over the size of the hole and ream it out by hand. Drill bits in a powered hand drill can make a mess of that real quick and you lack control of the drilling process. I usually have them set up in a milling machine and double check clearance before bedding, or a large drill press if you can clamp it down solid. Can be done on a drill press, but make sure to go slow, line everything up before drilling, and make sure everything is clamped down well. It's not a critical dimension, you are just creating clearance for the screw. However, I've seen chunks of stock taken out of mainly wood or laminate stock when people try to run a powered hand drill in there. Bit catches and blows out a piece on the top or bottom.

it's the tang that prevents it--the action is sitting snuggly in its mold in the stock, no room for the action to move back unless I remove material from the tang recess.

This is the first thing that needs attention. The rear of the tang should not contact anything. It's hard to offer a solution without actually seeing it but, based on the information you have provided, it sounds like someone bedded the action while it was positioned too far forward.

As the title says, will there be unwanted binding/torque in the action if there is evidence of the threads of the action screws touching the bedding block? Stock in question is a Bell and Carlson with the aluminum bedding block. It's as if the action (Winchester Model 70) is sitting too far forward and it looks like the threads of the action screw are digging into the front of the screw hole in the stock.
Could I just drill out some relief in the front of the screw hole so there is not contact between the screw threads/shank and bedding block?
Use a dremal and just remove enough mat. to clear.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.