Problem gun

I had a 300 win mag , about gave up on it, just wouldnt shoot, last attempt 7828 180 grn sierra,s was like it couldnt miss, no good guess as to why but it turned into a tack driver. Still wont shoot anything else.
I like the Sierras too. Recently worked up a load using 150 gr SBT's to ballistically duplicate (or close to it) my chosen hunting load for 174 Hammer Hunters using H4831sc. When loaded to just under mag length in my Tikka T3X, they griped between .280" and .387", which is slightly better than the Hammers…

L
Dang, I'm about to jump in the truck and road trip to TN!
I hope our LGS starts getting some of those in.
Been looking for RL 26 FOREVER!
I was looking as well then one day I walked in and there's an 8 pound keg on the bottom shelf ,so of course I snatched it up! The 33 I believe came from Natchez keep trying it pops up it is out there no matter what people say!
image.jpg

I apologize if this comment was prior mentioned as I did not read the entire thread. I just ran into the very same issue. After exhausting most suggestions provided I questioned if the 2.5" of bedding forward of the lug could be it. In my case I had another stock bedded, but without any bedding forward of the lug. Dropped the rifle in it and viola, it shot a great 4 shot group. I removed the bedding forward of the lug and headed back to the range. That was the issue. When I bedded the stock I must have made an error allowing in the forward bedding. My 2C, let us know what solves the issue.

I have only had a couple. Guns that refused to group consistently. One, I fixed by re-crowning. This one is causing some head scratching.

300 Win Mag, Winchester CRF mod 70, Shilen barrel, McMillan A3 stock, Leupold VX-6, 3-18x56.

I have tried RL-22 and H4831SC. 190 Nosler Custom Competition (identical to SMK), 180 Nosler Accubond and 175 Custom Competition.

Most groups are 1.2" or so. It will shoot a .5" then a 1"+ with the same load. No load has shot consistently good groups.

I'm shooting 3 shot groups, letting the gun cool between shots and shooting 2 other rifles.

This gun is a new build. Straight from the gunsmith.

Rifle is bedded.

More than adequate clearance between stock and barrel from 3" in front of tang.

Indoor Air conditioned 100 yard range.

I can make mistakes shooting, but this is not me. When I pull a shot, I know it and either don't count it or I can call it close enough to get an accurate measurement.

I'm shooting great little groups with the 7 mag 308 and 6.5 CM between crappy groups with the 300 WM.

I have played with seating depth, taking it all the way out to 3.535". Helps, but no consistency.

Ideas?
Many other factors can contribute to the poor grouping, tell us about your trigger, is it crisp with zero creep, or is it more like a rusty gate hinge ? What about swapping out your bedded gun stock for a new gun stock to compare ? was your bolt face trued to the new barrel breach ? How is your new barrel chambering, tight or kinda loose ? Is your bolt closure higher or a bit looser than before ? did you check the lands and groves and crown on the new barrel ? is your Picatinny scope mount properly torqued and tight ? did you lap or check your scope rings for square ? on and on it goes. its almost like finding the secret recipe my friend. Good Luck. SE

Several companies make off barrel mounts for magneto speed nowadays ,I got mine from Wiser Precision.
I made one. Works on all 4 of my chassis rigs. 3 KRG and an MPA. I made it adjustable for barrel length.
.20220712_193356.jpg
Regarding the OP's issue.. I had issues with my 1st 300PRC barrel not shooting when i finished my build. I tried 3 different bullets and 3 different powders with no luck. Ran through almost 500 rounds beating my head against the wall. I was going to send it back to the gunsmith but decided to pull the timed brake the smith put on and check the crown. No crown issues so I shot it without the brake. Went from 3" plus groups @200 yards to 1" or less. Threw a Sidewinder on after that and ran it hard with no more issues. I learned a lot from that ordeal.
I ran through and checked everything multiple times before I pulled the brake off. Sometimes it's the simplest thing. I do highly recommend throwing a tuner brake on and trying that. The EC Tuner brake is awesome.

- - - - - - - - - - - ISSUES RESOLVED - - - - - - - - -

So many good ideas. I hope this thread is a help to others too.

I believe I have solved the issue. I went for the most obvious (to me) issue which was the way the can mated to the mount. I think it was just loose enough to cause vibration issues.

I never liked the way it locked up. Apparently, Silencerco didn't either as they discontinued that mount and went to an ASR mount with actual threads.

I changed mounts and cans from a Saker to the Omega. Now, I'm confident of the lock-up.

I had suspected that my oversight of not taping off the front, sides and bottom in bedding the recoil lug was an issue. So I relieved it with a dremmel. I might touch up the bedding there … but why? It shoots .250" - .750" groups now. No sense in messing with a gun that shoots.

I also switched to shooting 165's. A bullet I never tried before. The Sierra Game King HPBT. It shoots great, Three groups .280" .675" .735". So now I have an accurate hunting round, though, I'd prefer to shoot a 180.

It shot 168 Nosler CC's very well. .340" .360" .690" So now I have a target round that pretty closely duplicates the hunting round at 100. Will have to see how it holds up at longer ranges.

I did shoot the 180 NAB, it also stayed under an inch. Shot three groups. .730" .865" .950". The .950 was because of a bullet that lost its tip on chambering. Tip got jammed in the chamber at the shoulder. Wouldn't chamber the round. Then group opened up by .250". So all three should have been about 3/4" groups

I shot 2 groups of Hornady Soft point factory rounds. .550" & .725" Pleased with these two 180's as it shows me that 180's will shoot well in this gun.

Hornady factory 180 SP - 2 groups .550" & .725"
165 Game King HPBT .280" .675" .735"
168 Nos CC - .340" .360" .690"
180 Nos Accubond .730" .865" .950"

Thanks again to everyone. So many good ideas on troubleshooting in this thread.

Also … I did NO LOAD WORK UP for the 165's. I chose a safe/commonly used load of RL-22 and didn't bother to change my seating die from previous 180 grain bullets. (Don't judge me).

I'm not even sure I'll try messing with the load and seating depth. Why? .280"-.750" is perfectly acceptable to me.

It's time to go actually shoot this thing at longer distances.

No, did not drill out screw holes. Will do that.

Yes, screws line up well with action. No binding.

I'll relieve the recoil lug all around, then re-bed properly with space in front.
I have a stock from a reputable manufacturer that's pillared. when I place the barreled action and torque it to specs at 40 inch it cause's binding. I have to go down to 30 inch to not get a bind. I'm figuring that the barrel channel isn't the correct dimension and causing pressure and flex stress on the action. At the 30 inch torque I get the first two almost in the same hole and the third a flyer consistently. So now I'm assuming slippage at the recoil lug since it looks a bit of shine in the recoil recess area over the pillar.

Was looking at it this morning trying not to do it..... I don't know how much longer I can hold out.... it's like being at the bar at closing time and only one fat chick left. What's a man to do?
Go for it if you need the relief!

Recent Posts