Probably overthinking things....

The Oregonian

I think i am over-thinking things. I want a good rifle for deer/antelope/etc, but also want to be equipped should i draw an elk tag - never been elk hunting before.

I've got a 280 being built by Darrell Holland but could change that to a 280AI, or buy a 300 mag in addition, or just use the 280 for elk. Other option is to spend less on a factory Remington 300 mag and get it trued up and/or barrel and/or stock.

Knowing that guns last a long time, I have thought about two guns. But at the same time, how often will I use the 300 mag - probably only on elk trips, i.e. once every few years.

What sayeth the hive?

You could easily use the 280 for elk, just not at really long ranges. You could also go the opposite route and use a 300WM or 300RUM on deer, antelope, AND elk and just get that (or a 7MAG, 7STW, 7RUM, etc). Just another thought...

If I had to pick only one caliber to do it all short of vermin It would be some kind of 30 cal mag, I mean hell your not under gunned for any thing on the north american continent with a 300 mag of sorts and you can down load to comfortable levels for casual shooting and predator huntimg while pushing a 230 grain berger past the 1k mark . A good breake will make it feel like a 270 with the heaviest loads.

I have a 260 for my whitetail and range gun but the 338 rum is the new elk hammer and with the break is very pleasent to shoot.
I am looking for a 300 win mag for my next rifle in a light weight mtn configuration . what ever you choose practice often.

If I was allowed only 1 rifle to hunt N. America, in any caliber of my choice, it would be a Rem 700 Sendero (26") 7Mag, topped with a NF 5.5-22x56 MOAR scope.

I think i am over-thinking things. I want a good rifle for deer/antelope/etc, but also want to be equipped should i draw an elk tag - never been elk hunting before.

I've got a 280 being built by Darrell Holland but could change that to a 280AI, or buy a 300 mag in addition, or just use the 280 for elk. Other option is to spend less on a factory Remington 300 mag and get it trued up and/or barrel and/or stock.

Knowing that guns last a long time, I have thought about two guns. But at the same time, how often will I use the 300 mag - probably only on elk trips, i.e. once every few years.

What sayeth the hive?

Your fine, you'll be way better of shooting the heck out of the 280 and kill everything with it than you will be all of the sudden throwing in a rifle you don't shoot as much. I've never ran into an elk that did not die when a 270,280,300 or 243 was used in it's effective range by someone who knew their rifle gun)

Your fine, you'll be way better of shooting the heck out of the 280 and kill everything with it than you will be all of the sudden throwing in a rifle you don't shoot as much. I've never ran into an elk that did not die when a 270,280,300 or 243 was used in it's effective range by someone who knew their rifle gun)

Your absolutely right! I just tend to think in terms of max range or getting as much as possible .

if a guy had a 223, a 243, a 280, and a 338 that will send a 300 gr bullet at
3000 fps or more he would pretty much have all the bases covered.
the ai versions with a little longer barrel would no doubt be a plus.

Talk to Darrell about it. I think you will find the 280 is going to do everything you want. I would second the AI version. He took one to Africa and had a little luck with it.

I went the 280. Darrell said he would build me anything, obviously. But he was more of a fan of the 280 than the AI. If / when I draw an elk tag I will cross that bridge at that time.

Fr now, my best bet is to get as good as I can get with the 280. Now I just have to wait 9-12 months.....Ughhh.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.