Probably a dumb question!?!?!?!?

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well I have been having a slow day at work and in between scratching my butt and shooting paper clips out of a canned air bottle at BJ I came up with a question.

Is there any rifle bore's out there that use a left hand twist and if not why????

This is probably a completely ignorant question but I figured I would ask anyway

take it easy
steve

Lerch,

I really have no idea. But I'll throw this out, how about it having something to do with the action/barrel thread direction. I'd suppose that it would be desireable for the bullet twist to tend to tighten instead of loosen the barrel.

Couldn't ya just see the look on the smith's face after spending days attempting to remove a barrel and finding the action was left hand threaded. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't ya just see the look on the smith's face after spending days attempting to remove a barrel and finding the action was left hand threaded.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damnit Roy!!!!!!

That was gonna be my belated April Fools Day surprise for Kirby!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That would be hilarious!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Your idea of the bullet putting torque on the bbl in tightening direction does make sense.

take it easy
steve

I believe they use left hand twist down under, I think it has to do with the way their toilet water turns backwards on the flush.

Swedish artillery. If you have ever worked on any Swedish made machinery you know the problem.

Civil war parrot rifle (Parrots fly better with a left hand twist)

The derringer used by John Wilkes Booth

Green Mountain Rifle pistol barrels

Glocks

This question was in a magazine i read a few months back and the writer (Nick Harvy) said the same thing about the force of the bullet tightning the barrel where as a left twist could loosen it. Also i've never heard of rifles being made in Australia with a left twist although from what i have read, Lithgow experimented with 2, 3, 4, and 5 land .303 SMLE barrels before and during world war 2.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.