Primmers

ericlau

Where's the primmers? I believe ammo manufacturers are somehow buying/blocking our ability to purchase them. Why would they want us reloading when they can sell us ammo at 2-3 times what it usually cost. Are primmers that hard to manufacture?

Where's the primmers? I believe ammo manufacturers are somehow buying/blocking our ability to purchase them. Why would they want us reloading when they can sell us ammo at 2-3 times what it usually cost. Are primmers that hard to manufacture?
Yes bullet manufacturers are getting most of the primers. The either own the primer company or have contracts to buy in huge bulk orders. That's the way it goes

Thanks

Buck

I don't believe they are sitting on primers for more than it takes to get them packaged and off the loading dock onto a truck. Trucking/freight is totally out of control and yes we all feel it. They are running a business and need to service their priority customers first . Its basic Successful Business 101 its not a conspiracy against reloaders. Reloaders make up a fraction of their business volume and we always have. All the factory ammo shooters are crying the same song. The US primers are made by the same companies who make and sell loaded ammunition.

I actually think that reloading components are on a rise across the board, primers included.

On Thursday I was at a LGS and they had (3) H4350 8 lbs. jugs, I bought a one pounder.

I then called back and asked if they would hold one of the big jugs till first of the week. "No problem, any other powders you would like ?",
ended up with H1000 and Varget. Along with a brick of LR and LR Match primers.

Brass is starting to show up here and there as well. I just hope the 7mm bullet offerings fallow.
This may not the true for all areas, but it is in my neck of the woods 🥳

Lucky
I haven't even seen a primer in over 18 months in my area.
Ammo is everywhere again but at twice the price
Have faith brother.....Natchez had and sold Retumbo with 5lb limit today for $42 a pound. Yes, Yes, Yes, primers are like fairy wings and they started showing up near us just recently and none of the high demand ones. Only can buy 500-1K and they are still in the 79-90/1K range.

Virtually all components are popping up all over the place. Let the high dollar stuff sit on shelves and the prices will normalize. I expect everything to cost more, just like gas, eggs, cars, etc. But I don't expect things to cost double or triple like they are now.

It's the dead of winter and most of us are not shooting now so why not wait and let the supply catch up a bit? I need a few things, but I'll just wait for now.

Seeing more and more locally. Local store had CCI 250's this week. $5.49 a box, don't need any at that price. For months they were out of projectiles, now there is a fair amount on the shelf. Mostly Hornady. Maybe not exactly what you want, but a few options for each of the common calibers.

Reloaders get the excess production for primers. More ammo sales means less primers for us. They usually come back after powder, which comes back after projectiles.

There's no conspiracy, bulk customers who buy millions of primers at a time will always be first in line.

Now that components are becoming more available every ammo company in the country is running the presses as fast as they can trying to catch up on the pent up demand so they are buying them by the semi load or rail car load.

It'll take time but eventually they'll start trickling back down to the consumer.

Seeing more and more locally. Local store had CCI 250's this week. $5.49 a box, don't need any at that price. For months they were out of projectiles, now there is a fair amount on the shelf. Mostly Hornady. Maybe not exactly what you want, but a few options for each of the common calibers.

Reloaders get the excess production for primers. More ammo sales means less primers for us. They usually come back after powder, which comes back after projectiles.
Another hard fact most may not realize is that we have probably two or three million more people reloading today than we had just 20 years ago.

Reloading was a very small niche market for pretty much the bulk of the last century and done mostly by weird old guys who were retired and had nothing better to do and benchrest shooters who were mostly the same old retired farts.

That began to change in the 90's and has expanded at a phenomenal rate since.

In 2000 you could order a top of the line fully automated Dillon press and have it in a few days, today, you might have to wait three or four months to get a 550b again because of the increase in demand, not because fewer are being made.

Everyone I've talked to in the industry over the last couple of decades has told me the same thing, the demand is the biggest issue with everything from rpimers to presses.