Priming with a Rock Chucker IV

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Anyone using the Rock Chucker with an auto feed priming tool or some other device? I know that there is the new "CIP" priming machine out there and cost is a factor, but since I already have the Rock Chucker why not use it for priming? I have a RCBS hand primer and trying to prime sever hundred cases at a time - I just can't with my hands these days from an old spinal cord injury. (tried to Jill to do all the priming, but she saw through that.) I watched some YouTube videos but wanted to get the forum advice.
Thanks
Len & Jill

Get a RCBS bench mounted auto primer. You will thank me later. You can feel every primer seat but not hard on your hands. Uses RCBS shell holders or compatible.
I have a RCBS Bench mounted model and I agree the feel and reliable seating of primers is much better than the hand held. But I generally use the handheld more because of convenience.

Anyone using the Rock Chucker with an auto feed priming tool or some other device? I know that there is the new "CIP" priming machine out there and cost is a factor, but since I already have the Rock Chucker why not use it for priming? I have a RCBS hand primer and trying to prime sever hundred cases at a time - I just can't with my hands these days from an old spinal cord injury. (tried to Jill to do all the priming, but she saw through that.) I watched some YouTube videos but wanted to get the forum advice.
Thanks
Len & Jill
Sorry I missed the part about the hand held. The bench model should serve you well. You may need to take breaks with tight primer pockets because the handle is coated with a hard rubber.

If you want precision, you need an adjustable primer seater. The Primal Rights CPS unit is fantastic, as is the 21st Century unit. Primers perform at their optimum at a certain amount of crush after cup and anvil are flush, or in other words, just touching the priming compound pellet.
You will note that new primers are built with the anvil proud of the cup, once seated, the anvil is pushed into the cup pre-tensioning the priming pellet, this tension is what makes or breaks the ignition of a primer.
Any crush that is excessive, will destroy any consistent ignition with that primer, and ALL brands will like a different amount of crush. Cup hardness plays a role here too.

Cheers.

If you want precision, you need an adjustable primer seater. The Primal Rights CPS unit is fantastic, as is the 21st Century unit. Primers perform at their optimum at a certain amount of crush after cup and anvil are flush, or in other words, just touching the priming compound pellet.
You will note that new primers are built with the anvil proud of the cup, once seated, the anvil is pushed into the cup pre-tensioning the priming pellet, this tension is what makes or breaks the ignition of a primer.
Any crush that is excessive, will destroy any consistent ignition with that primer, and ALL brands will like a different amount of crush. Cup hardness plays a role here too.

Cheers.
Agree the "CPS" my mistake when I posted "CIP" is a great unit. All primers are not "Created Equal", Wish I had an extra $600 for one.

I've got the RCBS bench mounted machine works great for large size primers not so much with the small primers so I have the hand prime for those.

I've got the RCBS bench mounted machine works great for large size primers not so much with the small primers so I have the hand prime for those.
don't get the new one though it cost more and it is not any better its universal but i found its slower than the first model that takes the shell holder.

I stopped priming with my Rock Chucker and I've been using a Lee hand held primer for many years. Arthritic hands will make me move to something less painful. I'm going to give that RCBS bench mount primer a go. Though I will miss the feel of the primer seating.

I stopped priming with my Rock Chucker and I've been using a Lee hand held primer for many years. Arthritic hands will make me move to something less painful. I'm going to give that RCBS bench mount primer a go. Though I will miss the feel of the primer seating.
In the same boat as you. It is difficult to prime several hundred cases by hand. I will start priming this weekend with the newly purchased RCBS bench model and give you an update. Really wanted a "CPS", but $600 goes a long way for powder bullets.

In the same boat as you. It is difficult to prime several hundred cases by hand. I will start priming this weekend with the newly purchased RCBS bench model and give you an update. Really wanted a "CPS", but $600 goes a long way for powder bullets.
I haven't used mine in ages but I seem to remember that sometimes the palm of my hand would get sore from extended priming. If this happens to you I'd suggest a Harbor Freight impact glove. It's padded in the palm and helped me when I used pneumatic hammers.