primers make a difference!

Rich Coyle

Today, 11/26/18, I fired five five shot groups testing primers. I like every hold except the very last shot in the Fed 215 Mag group. How can one get buck fever over a group!?

5 - primers.jpg

The Winchester are in first place except for flyer.
Have you checked the barrel clearance with the stock, Weight Loaded, on the bench?
The one group and the fliers seem to be making a little Low Left to High Right variance that bedding could be affecting. Just a thought you could check.

I like my Federal primers, while every other reloader likes another brand. Much have to do with the rifle setup, the ability of the shooter, reloading techniques and the combination of the load (bullet/case/powder/primer). Then there are just those combinations that surprise you out of the blue.

I always start my rifles loads with Federal 215 Magnum. Then no matter what I use is will not be hotter.

My 10" barrel Freedom Arms .454 hated Federal primers. With CCI 450 Magnum it would do under 2" at 100 yards with a calendar full. Switching to Federal primers opened the groups to 6". I am not loyal to any brand.

To me the primer is the most mysterious and important thing in loading accurate ammo.
I had a lot of problems with groups and could not really know what was going on from the 19 60's till 2004. In 2004 my brother and I was getting ready to go on our first trip to Canada moose hunting. My brother was having problems with his Rem. 700 338 WM about 1 in 5 would go about 4" low right out of a less than 1" group. We was at a range one day checking our rifles. Another shooter was there with a new Chroney Chronograph. When he got through shooting his rifle he asked if we wanted to Chronograph our loads. I told my brother go for it. He started shooting a group over the chronograph about the 3rd or 4th shot done its 4" low right thing. This load was shooting around 2970 fps, This low right shot showed 2791 then went back to around 2970. The primers were CCI 250. Went to Win LR and the flier disappeared.

I have a Rem 700 Varmit Barreled H&S stocked 223 Rem. that will shoot near 1 hole groups with a brick of Rem SR primers I have, CCI Bench rest or WW primers makes the group go to 1" or better.

About 2 months ago my buddy received his 7mm/08 Rem. from NULA. He started loads with Winchester LR., The groups was running near I 1/2". The chronograph was showing about 90 FPS var. in velocity. He changed to Federal Gold Medal 210, Shot groups in touching clover leafs .375", Only 13 foot variance through chronograph.

Any time I am working up loads, Change primers or primer lots, I will not go to the range without my chronograph going with me.

One group per primer does not tell the whole story. Are these groups repeatable??? Secondly, did you fire all 5 shots with a given primer consecutively or did you fire 1 shot at each aiming point for each primer then reverse the sequence and reverse again until 5 shots were taken at each aiming point?

I've run the exact test with a number of different rifles, some guns it doesn't really matter, some guns the primer was the difference between being a keeper or trading stock, run the test again, but this time shoot a 5 shot group using a different primer with each shot.

One group per primer does not tell the whole story. Are these groups repeatable??? Secondly, did you fire all 5 shots with a given primer consecutively or did you fire 1 shot at each aiming point for each primer then reverse the sequence and reverse again until 5 shots were taken at each aiming point?

This could be an Easter thread. It is resurrected.:)

I don't remember why I didn't answer your question. Sorry, man. I fired the groups by firing one shot at each target. Then I start at the last target for the next round of shots. Once I get back to the first group it gets two to start the process. I normally wait several minutes between shots. The groups are usually repeatable. I repeat them the next weekend.

By the way, that barrel was bored to 8mm and now fires Hammer Hunter 198 grain bullets. I never noticed the recoil when it was a 6.5mm because it has a fantastic brake. Oregongunsmithing.llc opened up the brake at the same time. I kicks about like a .22 Magnum, now. The powder charge jumped up to 72 grains of H4350 and the primer became a Rem 9 1/2M. The velocity averages 3,054 feet per second. With not much testing I settled on this load because it runs about 1" at 100 yards for three shots.