Primers for 7mm STW

James Kiser

I am currently reloading my 7mm stw using CCI 250 LRM primers. What do most of y'all prefer? Should I stick with these or should I switch to Fed or Rem? I have heard mixed reviews about the CCI 250s. I am using H1000 powder with 168 Berger vld sometimes 160 accubonds and I'm wanting to try 162 AMAXs. Should I use match primers? I am wanting what is the most accurate from people with more experience than I on this matter.gun)

I am currently reloading my 7mm stw using CCI 250 LRM primers. What do most of y'all prefer? Should I stick with these or should I switch to Fed or Rem? I have heard mixed reviews about the CCI 250s. I am using H1000 powder with 168 Berger vld sometimes 160 accubonds and I'm wanting to try 162 AMAXs. Should I use match primers? I am wanting what is the most accurate from people with more experience than I on this matter.gun)

Primer choice is really dependent on what the GUN chooses, and not so much you. It is mostly dependent on the powder choices as well. Some powders are difficult to lite, and require a hot primer, ie, 215, WLRM, or RWS, etc. Typically the STW is burning a slower powder, and requires a primer in the higher heat range, however every gun is it's on exception. I have a 7 mag that when using a full load of H1000, it prefers a standard WLR, and shoot .255 groups at 200 to prove it. So it is really trial and error, and in the end, you are providing the options, and the gun makes the choice. In general, the CCI 250 is a player in this field, however much of the time,the 215 and wlrm MAYbe better choices. Match primers are not hotter, they are just more consistent. So bottom line, just because my gun likes 215's, it dosen't mean yours will. You probably need to sample most of the options, and let the gun decide. :)gun). 7 STW.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.