Pressure signs...now what

Looks like the pierce acted like a blow torch and took some metal out there doesn't it? I think that is due to the hardness of the metal used in the bolt face. It must be kind of soft.

All I do know is that it will continue to pierce at that spot, due to the pot hole, with higher loads. I would definitely talk to a smith.

Looks like the pierce acted like a blow torch and took some metal out there doesn't it? I think that is due to the hardness of the metal used in the bolt face. It must be kind of soft.

All I do know is that it will continue to pierce at that spot, due to the pot hole, with higher loads. I would definitely talk to a smith.

Unfortunately no gun smiths in my area...

I had a batch of brass I bought used do that to me even though the dimensions were good and the load was a normal load for that brand of brass in my stw. Same small pit in the bolt as you described from primers pierced on the side. These were 215's in rp brass. The pockets were even tight enough to load again but I scrapped them as they were eating my bolt face up.
I've fired a couple of hundred rounds through the rifle since then ( both rp and win brass) without any issues at all. Loose the brass and you should be good to go.

I had a batch of brass I bought used do that to me even though the dimensions were good and the load was a normal load for that brand of brass in my stw. Same small pit in the bolt as you described from primers pierced on the side. These were 215's in rp brass. The pockets were even tight enough to load again but I scrapped them as they were eating my bolt face up.
I've fired a couple of hundred rounds through the rifle since then ( both rp and win brass) without any issues at all. Loose the brass and you should be good to go.

So you think from my pictures I should be ok if I replace my brass or do I need to send this out via my ffl to a gun smith that can work on the bolt face?

So you think from my pictures I should be ok if I replace my brass or do I need to send this out via my ffl to a gun smith that can work on the bolt face?
I'd ditch the brass and go from there... Your bolt face is already pitted so it's never going to be perfect without welding/ re-facing or a simple replacement. Unfortunately replacing a bolt means resetting the headspace so either way to fix your issue you will need a smith. You shouldn't need any repair though if it's not blowing primers with another brand/ batch of brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.