Pressure signs

LONG RANGE 7MAG

Had a great load shooting a 140 Berger Hybrid in a 6.5X2.84. Tried some of the new140 Elite Hunters using the same powder,brass,primer,length etc. picked up 50fps. and some pressure signs. Heavy bolt,light ejector mark. I am guessing that this is being caused by the different shape and thickness of outer bullet casing/target vs hunting?Cant leave anything alone! Just wondering what your opinions were. Thanks.

When You put them side by side you can see the difference. Elites
Are Longer so if you didn't adjust your seating depth they are seated in more and/or they are jammed. Either can cause more pressure. They appear to have more bearing surface as well

I had a similar problem with a nickel steel Remington 1903 Springfield i started like you with pressure signs ,a tight bolt,all else looked good.Now I was young ,stupid and very lucky I put the rifle up that day went home and scrubbed the chamber with scotch brite so the expanded case got a better grip on the chamber . I found the hotter I loaded it the smaller the group got .So when i was shooting one hole groups at 200 yards I asked one of the guys with a chronograph if i could shoot one over his sky screens .Results 190 grain BTHP AT 3120 fps All seemed good until I started talking with the owner of the chronograph. He asked if I had rechambered it to 300 win mag . i said no it was just a 30-06 I was told I was lucky I didn't blow it up he estimated i was at about 73000 lbs chamber pressure. What I learned do not load a 30-06 with winchester 748 powder The rifle still shoots well but you could buy case lots of nickel steel Remington 1903 Springfield rifles for$20 each.I made it to the far side of 70 .All I can say is thank you FATHER

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-26_12-12-1.png
    upload_2019-2-26_12-12-1.png
    299.8 KB · Views: 186
Don't discount the elite hunters either. I think you will find more consistent performance on game with them over the Hybrids. At least that has been my experience.

It's my son's rifle and he shot a whitetail this year #475 yrds with the hybrid.Right behind the shoulder,took out both lungs and broke it's back, bullet was recovered under hide on opposite side.DRT. Bullet had expanded great and worked great.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.