Pressure Issues

This one when I look with the borescope there isn't much at the throat or muzzle but the rest is heavily copper fouled. We have taken it apart 3 times to check it.

I suggested contacting Frank, not to make him responsible for these issues but to provide as much insight and information as possible for what the problem could be. Frank is extremely knowledgeable about all facets of barrel making and routinely trouble shoots problematic barrels. His depth of knowledge in this venue is unchallenged by anyone else in the barrel making industry.

I find that trying to trouble shoot the more intricate failures though online posts can be troublesome. Opinions are fine but this original poster needs a lot more help from professionals than from the regular members.

Let me know if you don't hear from Frank and I can see what can be done. No promises but I'm willing to assist if I can.

Yes, and I thank you. Again, mine is a L/A and the other 2 are S/A. I can't imagine that has anything to do with it.

I have emailed them and left 2 V/M. I will wait a little longer, but hunting season is getting pretty close :)

Out of curiosity how many rounds have you put through it. I had a similar issue with a new build recently. With a proof barrel. Sent it back to the smith and they said no issues found but the 6.5 bore was a hair tight but good so they shot it a few times and returned it to me. I took it out and continued my ladder with no problems. Wish I could offer more of a answer to why.

20-25 rounds. I feel like that may be the issue with mine. It is the only Bartlein barrel I have that copper fouls pretty much the entire length after 5-6 firings. So far I have not been able to drop the powder charge enough for the bolt not to be hard to lift. I have been able to drop it enough to stop the ejector from gouging the case on the bolt lift.

I put at least 25-30 of both light loads and factory of different brands before sending it back. The builder probably put another 10-20 before returning it. I put 50 through it yesterday going up 5 grains with no pressure of any kind and they say they did nothing to it. I had the same issue without the gouging just a light mark from ejector. Bolt was very stiff but no tool was needed to open it just a firm grip. Hopefully a few more rounds with good cleaning in between will fix yours as well. It was very odd but I have no other answer

I'm not sure I will have any teeth left if I keep firing it :D It stopped gouging but it still has ejector marks. Maybe I can get a good image of some of the brass and post it. I would hate to lap the barrel since it had a fine job when I got it. I have been able to open it with my hands, but it is a 2 piece bolt...not sure I would want to use more force.

Lubricant in the chamber? Doubtful, but doesn't hurt to ask. Also, is the chamber really high polish, or has it been buffed with something to give it a tiny bit of texture?

What shortgrass said !!!

A good chambering job does not need polishing or buffing. If the right spindle speed and reamer feed is used, a good reamer will leave a perfect finish in the chamber.

Polishing or oiling the chamber only adds to the bolt loading and case movement. The proper chamber finish is supposed to grip the case during firing to minimize bolt loading and case head marking.

Chambers should be kept clean and free of oil to function properly. If some type of lubricant has to be used for extraction, the load is to hot and should be reduced. Extraction is never a problem if everything is correct. Simple!

J E CUSTOM

I may have mislead both of with my statement. You are both correct. The piece of emery on his lathe is 320, however it is worn out. I dropped him some new by today that I had laying around when I stopped in to see what it was. I stated buffed which would lead someone to believe it was polished. It was really just run over the surface while the lathe was turning in the chamber as well as edges of the counterbore to take sharpness off.

Fired rounds have a light carbon deposit about 1/3 the way down the case neck from the mouth. It looks like a good seal to me.

The only oil that has been in the chamber was the Viper Venom and has long since been cleaned out. Even after cleaning the bore between shooting a dry mop was run in the chamber to remove any residuals left from pulling the bore guide out. There is a very small amount of Shooter's Choice grease on the bolt lugs. A small amount was applied with the syringe and wiped almost clean with a swab to just leave a thin film.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.