Premium 22LR Rifles

Curious if Marlin 39a fits in here, lever action - tube feed.

Are these considered accurate ?
Accurate for a lever but against Anschutz, CZ or Voodo, not remotely in the ball park, and I have owned at least 8 39s over the years. Any Savage bolt action will out shoot them too, but you can't beat the appreciation in value on the 39s. I bought many for 3-400 bucks, last one I sold went for $2,200.

As I recall the 77/22 uses the same barrel retention design that the 10/22 semi-auto uses. Only a few of the best shooting 10/22 clones out there use a different barrel retention method. So the fault is not necessarily the design, but the execution of that design. Look into the various accuracy methods applied to the 10/22's, I think that you'll find applying those method(s) will have the same positive effect on a 77/22.
If the 77/22's barrel tenon dimensions are the same, then any barrel made for the 10/22 could be used in the 77/22.

They transitioned to threaded somewhere around 08, there is a specific serial number correlates to v block and thread.

The 77 22 tennon is the same diameter but a different length with a different v block location as well as the second extractor cut. There used to be a kit to adapt 77 barrels to 1022 but they didn't go the other way without cutting the tennon depth.

The bolt shims are a popular tweak, but some did not need them. Triggers always needed work as the factory ruger trigger were very heavy.

These days they sell for a premium, stock choices as well as barrel options have also completely dried up. All that adds in to a tough sell compared to the 700 clones. 20 years ago when mine got put together they were almost unique in the category, but the footprint war clearly was won by the 700.. would be hard for me to rationalize a 77 in today's world.

No doubt the 700 footprint makes stocks easier, but barrels are available for the 77/22. A qwik search showed barrels from Shilen, McGowen, Lilja, and Clark Custom (Walther blanks) along with the more commercial players like TacSol. Maybe they're not the high-end of stocks, but if wood is the go-to then Boyd's shows many solid options for a stock. Same for triggers, Timney, Rifle Basix, and MCarbo were all found qwikly and there may be other options.

Frankly, I'm not sure that I'd want a 700 footprint based .22LR action. Just seems grotesquely larger than necessary. That's not to suggest that my next build will be an M77/22, but it might be!

Frankly, I'm not sure that I'd want a 700 footprint based .22LR action. Just seems grotesquely larger than necessary.

Then don't try one as you won't want to go back. I know I never will. Had a CZ and would never go back after getting a Vudoo.

And no it's not grotesquely larger than necessary. They feel perfect when used and you can work them like a centerfire.

I've always been the de-stroked, high reving small-block kind of guy. A 700 based .22LR feels very much like a 500ci Big Block. Not that those aren't fun, they're just not my interest.

Have you tried one?
Lol, you get the same push back over on Rimfudd Central. Probably for the simple fact that loading mags is too easy.
IMO, if you come from the LR centerfire community, a 700 22LR clone is a drop in fit, embrace it.

I still have these, and gave away a K22 SA to a friend, but a 25 power scope looks stupid on them, grab the Vudoo or Rim X and get the work done.
Sporters.jpg

The 77 is essentially a full size action as well, so it's not exactly a svelte little scaled down rimfire action.

My 77s were from the days when we didn't have the option of the 700 foot print. While they are tuned exactly how I've been accustomed, they do have features not as popular in current times. The ring situation isn't as easy as 700 round round clones. And while the triggers are good, the options to get exactly what you want on a 700 platform are much greater.

Stock situation is the same. Mine wear the now unavailable mcmillan, while I like the shape it would be nice to have an exact clone of my hunting rifles.

Admittedly for hunting the flush mag on the 77 wins every time for me. If someone ever makes a flush 5 round option for the 700/40x clones I'll probably have some dusty 77s in the safe.

For the op request, most of the 77/22 rifles are running around a grand. Assuming a Boyd's stock, trigger kit, and Lilja or shilen barrel... you'll be over budget.