premier scopes...

I got word my Premier has shipped so it will be here for my upcoming Montana Whitetail hunt! YES! Happy dance, happy dance..... :D

Mounted, zeroed and ready to go:

PICT0103.JPG

I'm very impressed so far. The glass is at least as good as the S&B, the biggest difference view-wise is 15X vs. 12X on the top end which makes me happier. Another difference is the FOV is much bigger at 3X than either the S&B 3-12 or IOR 3-18 giving it a much better low end than either of those. I will appreciate that when pounding the brush.

PICT0102.JPG

I like the design and operation of the parallax and illumination a lot. The illumination is out of the way, not taking up ring space or blocking your view when you don't need it and can never accidentally turn on. I like the size and feel of the parallax knob better though it is lacking any markings. I put some white dots for quick reference as I like to be able to look down and see where it's at when hunting.

The knobs are great:

PICT0100.JPG

The clicks are close together, much like the S&B, but feel better to me and the larger knob gives you more leverage--and the indicator actually lining up with the lines makes it easier to see where you're at than the S&B MTC. Allowing all that travel in a single turn and the tool-less latches makes the close clicks worth it to me.

Resetting the turrets is as easy as falling off a log. No tools to remember to bring or have handy. Just pry up the latch with a cartridge, spin it to zero (really easy with the hard MTC click on zero) and push the latch down. Simply a joy to use.

I whipped up a BDC label for speedy use in the field:

PICT0148.jpg

To 1000 yds in hardly 1/4 turn, gotta love that! ;) I apologize for the poor pic taken in my dark shop; I took a camera to the range today only to realize it had no memory card. I'll have better in the future.

On that subject, Premier will custom make those (actual knob, not sticky label) for people. They can even put the MTC clicks on yardages instead of Mils or where ever you want them. There was no time for me this year (I was just happy to get the scope in time for the hunt at all) but it's nice to know they're available.

Have you mounted it on your IOR buster?

Sounds like a high quality scope with some really neat features. Let us know if it proves recoil proof on your scope-killer.

And thanks for sharing your first impressions with us.

Yup, that's the IOR buster, so if this one has any similar problems they will be exposed quickly.

I'd say the S&B 3-12 passed the test, racking up about the same number of rounds as all three 3-18's I broke put together without breaking a sweat. Hopefully this one will do the same.

I got to check out a PR scope last week at a friend's house myself. I was also impressed by the clicks on the adjustment knobs... at every major division the click was louder and stronger...meaning click, click, click, CLICK, ....etc A small thing but very nice. The optics were impressive to, but to be honest I didn't evaluate them outside. He's got some S&B's to put it up against so next time I'm over there I'll get to check it outside. He's very impressed with it also.

As usual Jon, great pics and writeup. No question the PR scope has all the makings of a real winner. I hope it performs as good as it looks. Can't wait to see it at SHOT. Good to know about the S&B scope too. I'll forward that info :D

Good to know about the S&B scope too. I'll forward that info :D
Please do. I really want them to get that sorted out. Has anybody broken one from the 3rd batch? Do you know if any are mounted on heavy kickers?

Though every indication is that it would run forever, this is where the testing with the S&B will stop. I would love to keep it as it is a fantastic scope also, but I can only afford to indulge myself with one scope that costs this much at this time so I'll be selling it. Last time at the range I shot a 1/3 MOA group with it at 300 yds, so there's no doubt it's still in tip top shape.

No, the "Gen 3" models have been 100% trouble free at this point. I do not know if any are on guns like yours.

Scott

First Blood with the Premier:

Muley.jpg

About 415 yds away, one single shot dropped him on the spot. I used the scope from muzzle poking distances in the dark to wide open spaces in the full sun. It couldn't have performed any better. It was more than capable of any condition I threw at it, from thick brush to long range.

For one extreme example, tonight I made a first round hit on my gong--completely cold--at 1011 yds in the dark with a full 15 MPH crosswind. While it is certainly one of the best shots I've made (yes, I did cheer outloud and put the gun away to "quit while I was ahead") what's more impressive for this discussion is how the scope made that possible.

The Glass: It was 15 minutes past legal shooting light for hunting, with no snow and no moon that means pretty **** dark. I know some put less importance on glass quality than I do and that's fine, but this is one situation where they simply wouldn't have been able to see the target at all with lesser scopes. It was all I could do to barely make out a "white blob" just barely well enough to aim at. Any lower quality view and it would have been a safe gong.

The illumination: Without illumination the shot obviously would have been impossible as it was way too dark to see the reticle without it. The shot was made on the lowest setting which is really, really, dim and only lights the center cross of the reticle--basically the same as S&B PMII's which have arguably the best illumination systems around. Most illuminated tactical scopes, even on the lowest setting would have washed out the target (assuming the glass was good enough to see it at all in the first place even without the illumination on).

The rest: Dope of 6.0 Mils up and 2.0 Mils right was added (while I usually hold windage, for this shot I could not see the reticle besides the illuminated center cross) very easily with the turrets. I put the cross in the center of the faint whitish blob looking thing, squeezed the trigger and listened for the sound.... :)

Anyway, I figured many here would like to hear about that. It's not often (or ever?) most people would ever need a scope to perform such a difficult task, but man is it fun to see one do it. I don't believe there are many that could have.

JonA, congradulations on the buck and the Excellent shooting...

What bullet are you useing?

I used the 208 A-Max this year. Performance was perfect--this buck went down so fast he just disappeared, I actually had to wander around for a while in the sagebrush to find him. That's with a pure lung shot that didn't ruin an ounce of meat.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.