Pre Pronghorn season scouting trip went welll..

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
Spend the better part of the last two days scouting for some big pronghorn bucks to hammer here in exactly one week. Our rifle season starts Oct 8th.

The rut is stringing along later then normal this year and the proghorns are still spread out all over the place in small herds instead of grouping up onto good food sources which is normal this time of year. Still, we scouted well over a dozen solid bucks in the 14" range and a couple "shooters" well over 15" that should score in the low to mid 80" range possibly.

At the end of the day today my brother and I decided to check out rifles out just to get some practice. We found small rocks at 450, 600 and 720 yards and each took two shots at them. He was shooting his 25-06 Savage that he just worked up a good load for using the 110 gr Accubond loaded to 3300 fps.

I was using my little green monster 7mm AM lightweight with the 200 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3150 fps.

The wind was blowing 10-13 mph but at the 450 and 600 yard test it was right at our backs so no worries. His first two shots at 450 yards were both winners. First shot about 1" to the left, second shot centered the 10" white rock.

My drop chart said to use a 0.9 mil hold and both of my shots landed dead center but about 2" high of the rock. They landed basically on top of each other. Well within the vitals of a pronghorn or even yote for that matter with a center shoulder hold. IT was 80 degrees so I did not mind seeing the shots land slightly high, they will drop a slight bit when it cools later in the week.

At 600 yards, both of our drop charts were stating to hold very close to 2 mils down. My brothers first shot again was just off the left edge of the rock which was significantly smaller then the 450 yard target rock. It was about 5" across. His second shot split the rock in half!!

I found another rock of similiar size and threw two of the big wildcat bullets at it. Again, both landed basically in the same hole but about 4" above point of aim. Again, with the high temps and the 7mm Allen Mag, perfect for me with this rifle.

We then turned to the 720 yard rock which was about 6" in diameter and sitting in the middle of a steep bare dirt face on the hill. The wind was a factor for this shot as it was coming from right between out 7 and 8 o'clock position. Looked up the windage for my brothers 25-06 which was roughly 35" at 720 yards in a 10 mph cross wind.

We figured to hold 1/3 of the perpindicular windage and his first shot landed again on the right edge of the rock but this time slightly high, only 4 to 5" high though. Well within the vitals of a goat at this range in these conditions for a first shot attempt.

His second shot, after being able to read the wind from the first shot landed center horizontally and right at the top edge of the rock.

My two shots landed on the top left edge and top right edge of the rock, probably 5" horizontal spread with no visable vertical spread.

Looks like we are ready to roll for this Sunday. I will do alot more practice shooting throw the week but I think that will just be for me instead of tuning the rifle. It appears ready to roll.

More to some soon!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty, it sounds like you will be hitting many a Pronghorn come October the 8th. Have fun!!!

Jake

Sounds like another good antelope season soming up for the APS guys. Good luck and keep us posted. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fifty

One question. He has a stock savage/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif? your his brother and you are a **** good smith and he is shooting a stock gun.

d-a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D-A,

The Savage is a heavy fluted barreled factory barreled receiver. He had be restock it with a Boyds thumbhole sporter stock. Lapped the lugs, recrowned the muzzle and slicked up the trigger. The rifle is printing in the 3/8" cloverleaf range at 100 yards with the 100 gr Ballistic Tips and 110 gr Accubonds so why not burn that barrel up while it shoots good?

He has several full customs that I built for him. This is just a project rifle for him and he wants to get it bloodied this fall.

He has been talking about rebarreling it to a 25-06 AI but I told him to wait until this barrel was shot out. This is a very fast barrel. He can load the 100 gr Ballistic Tips to over 3500 fps with no appearent pressure signs. This load in my old 25-06 would deprime the case for me but not in his Savage barrel.

Hell if they shoot, who cares if its a factory rifle or not!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

SS7mm,

When is the trip to Idaho? Watch out for Buffalobob. Hes got some range with that new pea shooter he picked up awhile back. I think he is still in Wyoming so you should be safe for a while /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby:

We leave here the 13th. I just hope BB hasn't scared everything off with all of the testing, popping, fishing and carousing he's been doing over there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif He says he's been camping but he sure spends a lot of time in town accessing a WiFi system and posting stuff on here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We'll be in a different area so hopefully things will be nice and quiet. Time will tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck & good shooting on the pronghorns.
I have had the 7 Dakota XP out 4 times the past four weeks. Have got quite a bit of practice in the 600 to 650 yard distances. Between now and mid-November (deer/elk in CO) I will spend more time @ 700-1k.
"Puff" is shooting real good Kirby-THANKS for your good workmanship.
I have a set of both Med & high 30mm Signature Zee Rings from Burris coming to make prone shooting a little easier.
I will use the lowest one I can.

Kirby

If you just shoot the little antelope fawns, you can hold them up in one hand while you skin then. Plus the little ones will dress out like a squirrel and you can pan fry them. Those ones with the big horns are heavy and the meat is tough. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Plus the little ones are harder to hit than a big ole fat buck. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.