pre/post 64 winnie

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bob S., Apr 20, 2005.

1. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

Whats the differences in the pre 64 and post win mod 70?
    Any benefits of one over the other?

2. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Well-Known Member

I do believe that the main differences is that the Pre '64 receiver steel is supposed to be stronger, and that the bolt has a 3rd tang on it that engages the rear section of the action. I'm not 100% sure but I think they are all controlled round feed/claw extractor as well.

If it is a newer model, like my 300WM - it is listed as "pre-64 style action". This only means that it is a controlled round feed/claw extractor.

3. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

GHA, Thanks for the reply. If I'm going to order a stock and I have a pre 64 style action that has the controlled round feed claw extractor but does not have a third tang do I need to get a pre or post 64 action inlet? Any place I can see apicture of the difference. I only have a supposed post 64 action but am not sure since I have never seen a pre action. Sorry for my ignorance but hopefully will learn something here.

4. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Well-Known Member

I do not know the answer, and I would like to know as well. I would like to eventually replace the cheese-dick factory stock on my 300WM which is also the pre-64 style action like yours. I think the only way to find out would be to contact the mfg. of the stock you are looking at.

5. Bob S.

Bob S. Well-Known Member

I talked to a stock maker and was told if you measure the distance between the action screws and go by that you are covered. Pre 64 is 7 3/8" and post is 7 1/2" (long action). It shouldn't matter if you have a post with a pre style action as long as the distance is correct and the inlet is ordered for the distance.
    I would still like to see the diff between the two if anyone knows where I can view them. I may end up going to the library and looking at gun value books or something.

6. dbhostler

dbhostler Well-Known Member

I have collected several pre-64 Winchester rifles in years gone by and in my book, the pre-64s were better rifles at least in fit and finish. If you want to know more about these rifles, look for a copy of "The Riflemans Rifle" by Roger Rule. I think it has been republished in the last few years.
    db