Pre-64 model 70 winchester Modern build ideas.

shootallday

Just thinking at this point and looking for ideas. How would you build a pre 64 m70 like a modern rifle. Have to use real parts that are available, list what cartridge and how you would use the rifle.

Mine I am thinking a carbon wrapped barrel,24-26" probably a lite sendero or similar, a fiberglass/kevlar or carbon fiber stock, keep it a Hinged floorplate, scope would be 3 -15 power of so, maybe do Talley lightweights for bases/rings. I'd like it in 280Ai

If I ever built a pre 64 into a modern performance rifle it would have to be in a 1-8"twist 270 Winchester or a new 1-10" twist 30-06 or an improved version of the two like a 30 or 270 Gibs. I couldn't go with a carbon wrapped barrel it would have to be a chromoly Krieger #3 or #4 with a high polished blued finish. The stock would be a McMillan classic with a McWoody or McWalnut molded in color. Talley rings with a Leupold vx3HD scope would round things out nicely. I think the theme would be a modern classic with the new high tech materials but in a old school appearance.

If I ever built a pre 64 into a modern performance rifle it would have to be in a 1-8"twist 270 Winchester or a new 1-10" twist 30-06 or an improved version of the two like a 30 or 270 Gibs. I couldn't go with a carbon wrapped barrel it would have to be a chromoly Krieger #3 or #4 with a high polished blued finish. The stock would be a McMillan classic with a McWoody or McWalnut molded in color. Talley rings with a Leupold vx3HD scope would round things out nicely. I think the theme would be a modern classic with the new high tech materials but in a old school appearance.
sounds nice, what barrel length would you do.

I like your tastes!
My pre 64 sits in a McMillan classic, hinged plate, #3 fluted benchmark barrel at 24" and chambered in 6.5x55 Swede. By far one of my favorite rifles.

I like your tastes!
My pre 64 sits in a McMillan classic, hinged plate, #3 fluted benchmark barrel at 24" and chambered in 6.5x55 Swede. By far one of my favorite rifles.
I have 3 mod 70s 270 win original but custom stocked a 300 wby original conversion by Wheatherby South Gate California and my latest rebuild from 300 Win too the 6.5 Prc Bartlein I had the 300 super grade contour copied by Bartlein and added some too the diameter in a 1-7.5 twist custom stocked English Walnut 24 lines too the inch no boarder checkering its a shooter

I always wanted to build the M70 M40a1 that RTE-P built as a gift for Ginny Hathcock. Granted. They did builf
It on a post-64 push feed M70 but none e less, that's what I'd do.

Win M70
MCMillan HTG
24" 1:12 M40 Contour Hart Barrel
Win Mod 70 Bottom metal modified to fit a Rem 700 SA inlet
Gen 1 Green Redfield Accurange 3-9

525E4CB6-AABF-4A48-81BB-5854E7468AB3.jpeg

I've done one .257 with a steel fluted Lilja and one in .280AI with a 22" proof 1/9. The action isn't the lightest out there. I think I'd do a .338-06 if I ever build or rebarrel one of mine.

I've done one .257 with a steel fluted Lilja and one in .280AI with a 22" proof 1/9. The action isn't the lightest out there. I think I'd do a .338-06 if I ever build or rebarrel one of mine.
My mind keeps saying do a26" for the 280ai . 24" will be plenty really.what speeds were you getting with the 22"

Recent Posts