Practical range of the 25-06?

RangerBrad

I was informed recently that I'll be attending a mule deer hunt out west this fall and may be expected to make shots in the 400-500 yd range.
What is the max reasonable expected terminal range of the 25-06 115gr-120gr bullets on deer sized game. Thank's Brad

I hate to do a "beat a dead horse" kind of reply, but it's really about shot placement.

I've taken buck antelope at somewhere around the 550 mark with 25-06 and 115 Nosler BT's. Many many other antelope and deer in the 400-500 range with same bullet..................they were all broadside lung/heart shots. I think the max range depends on the angle of the shot, and whouldn't hesitate to shoot 600 yds if I had good shot presentation/opportunity.

On the other hand, I wouldn't attempt a sharply quartering shot at anywhere near that distance with my 25-06's.

The crazy old cowboys I went hunting elk with shoot elk out to 500 yards with 120g Cor Lokts. The elk died and they didn't have to run all over for them.

According to NFBal, the first factory load I pulled up shows 2060fps and 1086 ft-lbs at 500yds with a 115gr Nosler Ballistic tip.

As such, I'd say that the cartridge is plenty capable to 500 yds if you do your part.

You can certainly improve the odds with handloads, good bullets, and practice to ensure good shot placement as indicated by other posters.

Happy Hunting!

Thank's for your replies. I agree that shot placment is important. Because of where I live my shots have been confined to 200 yds or less and thought that others that have actually used this round at range could give me some real world answers on this. The 25-06 is what I have allways used and have been quite impressed with it's preformance but then agin they were confined shot's. Thank's, Brad

Roninflag, I have not shot this rifle at long range. My shooting just like my hunting has been confined to the 200yd mark at which I'm putting all rounds in the 3" area. I understand shots need to be confined to the heart long area however, I'm just asking about the Reasonable Terminal Range of the caliber shooting 115gr-120gr bullets. Thank's, Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.