Powders for 180 gr SST in 300 win mag

Savage30cal

I have shot 30-06 for years an just started shooting the 300 win mag i have alot of 180gr SST an dont know where to start with powder for this cal. Any knowledge given is greatly appriciated.gun)

i use h1000 and a 180 gr pro hunter in mine its great holes that touch one another at 3120fps . 77.5 gr to be excact you can also get a lot of loads for it off the Hodgon website.hope this helps

7828, h4831, rl22, rl25, h1000 are what I'd try in the 300win with a 180. Any of the above will net you 3100 fps with good accuracy if your rifle is up to it...

Thanks for the start guys. Ive used H4831 an it like running presto logs through my measure it an I was hoping that i can find a better measuring powder. How is the H1000 an r22

Thanks for the start guys. Ive used H4831 an it like running presto logs through my measure it an I was hoping that i can find a better measuring powder. How is the H1000 an r22

I like rl22 but I usually toss a bit light and trickle in.. Powders that are great in the 300win will have a rather large size kernel if they are stick. Most ball offerings aren't worth trying. At Least you aren't tossing I5010 or rl50 charges... Those powders are about half the kernel size of a Vienna sausage...:D

thanks for the input i was wondering how is the H4831 over H4831SC or does the H4831SC act identical as the standard H4831>

thanks for the input i was wondering how is the H4831 over H4831SC or does the H4831SC act identical as the standard H4831>

it (4831sc) burns at the same rate but I've gotten a bit less velocity from it than the old stuff. I burn ten # of rl series for every # of imr and hodgdon combined. There are uses for single base stick powders and I have a couple of kegs worth of it loaded, but I burn far more double base (rl series). I'd think about rl23 myself for a 300win if I didn't have a load put together and a few hundred on the shelf for my rifle. I'll be working with rl26 as a replacement for rl25 soon. I have a test # waiting to play, but work and winter weather are getting in the way.

Ive seen that let me restate my question how does the rl powders handle the extreme temp differences. is the exteme spread of m.v. of rl powders go over 50 fps?

RL not the best for temperature consistency. Good for top velocity though. I had good luck with 7828ssc. Try the new IMR powder as well as the new RL23 and RL26. H4831sc usually isn't the highest velocity but good accuracy.

I just bought some H1000 an im going to keep some sells hot an have some cold an see how it deal with the temp difference. if it doesnt produce the results i want im trying RL22 next.

I just bought some H1000 an im going to keep some sells hot an have some cold an see how it deal with the temp difference. if it doesnt produce the results i want im trying RL22 next.

they will both work... no powder is 100% temp. insensitive. Some will do very well when they are happy, but will fall off the wagon if they aren't. I've had h4895 (a supposed "extreme" powder) toss over 100 fps differences from the same box of ammo depending on time of year.... others have seen the powder do 10-20 fps when it is more happy... rl powders will typically toss 50 to 80 fps differences between summer and winter. Primer, rifle, and shooter can play a part also in "temp. stability" so do not hang your hat on the powder too much. I really don't care myself. I care about accuracy at all times ( no summer and winter loads) and if the vel's a bit slower I'll accommodate that.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.