powder volumes

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by dancrockett, Feb 3, 2013.

1. dancrockett

dancrockett Member

When you choose a powder, do you take case fill into acct.? I would like to know if there is an advantage/disadvantage to filling up the case vs. having some space behind the bullet. for example is it worth 5.5grs. just to get 20fps? I am most interested in how it affects barrel life.

180 GR. BER VLD Hodgdon H4831 .284" 64.5grs. 2830fps 60,200 PSI

180 GR. BER VLD Hodgdon Hybrid 100V .284" 59.0grs. 2810fps 59,700
    PSI

2. g0rd0

g0rd0 Well-Known Member

case volume dosnt mean a thing. It is used by knowing your case capacity and ballistic barrel length to find your expantion ratio thus giveing a starting point.
    As long as you follow published data find your sweet spot and stick with it.

3. Edd

Edd Well-Known Member

I do, I always choose a powder that gets as close to 100% fill as possible.

4. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

I'm with Edd.
    I go for a balance that is FIRST case fill, then velocity, & work from there for accuracy.
    Extra powder is a valid barrel life factor, especially if getting nothing in return. But sometimes better filling powders are cooler/slower(as seen in QuickLoad), which somewhat counters loss in barrel life.
    Not so in this case of comparison..
    HY100V is listed in QL as a very cool powder. If these numbers are correct(your load ends up matching posted) there is significant gain in barrel life potential. Too much to pass up without trying it first.
    See capture of my calcs attached

Otherwise:
    Case fill matters (when not running extreme pressure loads), as low density loads can add to ES.
    And this is one of only a few things you can influence ES with.

Attached Files:

5. Mikecr

Mikecr Well-Known Member

To add a flip-side scenario to discussion:
    The 6XC is a very popular competition cartridge typically running IMR7828, or H4350.
    A fellow named Joe Hendricks tested to get the same -with better barrel life.
    His resulting solution is the 6CM(Competition Match, not Creedmore). This increased capacity over a std 6XC just enough to use H1000 (a cooler powder) with the same bullets.
    Today it represents a success as it does meet his goal.

6. Trickymissfit

Trickymissfit Well-Known Member

in my 6/250AI, I found H1000, Retumbo, and 4831SC to be the best for group size with the 107 Sierra and 105 Amax. I have tried two or three other powders, but always seem to come back to these three. The case is not all that much different than the two you mentioned. I'll probably try AA Magpol this year whenever it decides to warm up a tad.
    gary

7. TOM H

TOM H Well-Known Member

8. dancrockett

dancrockett Member

Thanks for the input guys,
    @Mikecr
    Thanks for the info, much better than the burn rate charts. looking at your charts, are they saying you will get almost twice the number of accurate shots from your barrel with the Hybrid 100v over the H4831? I was going to buy the H4831 but now I may reconsider

9. dancrockett

dancrockett Member

@ Tom
    Thanks Tom, I am very new to this but I have everything except powder and primers, and while trying to choose a powder for my first batch of rounds I noticed the spread in powder weights. In reading through various forums I also noticed that re-barreling seems to be a common practice, with some only getting 400 rounds through before needing to buy a new one, something I would like to avoid for as long as possible. I never realized that shooting had become such a science, but I sure realize I have a lot to learn now.