Powder scale

bstomper

I have the Lyman micro touch 1500 digital powder scale and for the past while I have been noticing some inconsistencies with it so I decided to run a small test. I calibrated it and zeroed it. I put 40.4 grains in the pan it and left it sit on the scale. It has an automatic shut off after 5 minutes. By the time it shut down it climbed from 40.4 to 41.2. Changed batteries and tried it again with the same results. This is the second scale (different brands) in 2 years that I have had these issues. Makes it real tough to do load development. What kind, brand, make, price range, do I have to get to have a powder scale that actually works. This thing cost me $100 at Cabelas.
I have been thinking of getting one of the automated measures but I would be out a lot more if it happens with it. I just want a scale that works.

Last edited:
I have the Lyman micro touch 1500 digital powder scale and for the past while I have been noticing some inconsistencies with it so I decided to run a small test. I calibrated it and zeroed it. I put 40.4 grains in the pan it and left it sit on the scale. It has an automatic shut off after 5 minutes. By the time it shut down it climbed from 40.4 to 41.2. Changed batteries and tried it again with the same results. This is the second scale (different brands) in 2 years that I have had these issues. Makes it real tough to do load development. What kind, brand, make, price range, do I have to get to have a powder scale that actually works. This thing cost me $100 at Cabelas.
I have been thinking of getting one of the automated measures but I would be out a lot more if it happens with it. I just want a scale that works.
Technique is important with these scales. All the cheap load cell scales drift.

You have to spend a few hundred dollars to get into a magnetic force restoration scale to avoid most of those troubles. The A&D fx120i, and the Sartorius Entris 153 are the entry level in this type of scale.

But as I said before, your technique can help even with the cheaper scales. Often, if you lift up the pan and replace it, the true weight will show. Also, if you tare out the scale with the pan on it, you should get the same reading every time you remove the pan. By keeping an eye on this reading, and lifting and replacing the full pan to check weight, you can still make these work reasonably well.

Edit: Here is something else you may or may not want to hear...many of the vintage Ohaus made beam scales are extremely sensitive. I have an old gray Ohaus 505 (not RCBS, but Ohaus branded) that I have tested with BOTH of my laboratory analytical balances (accurate to .001 grains). That vintage 505 has an extreme spread over 30 charges of .09 grains with an SD of .03 grains.

Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/I31-OHAUS-...206119?hash=item3b3ef359e7:g:mfwAAOSwqOdd~Q9j

Last edited:
I have a 5 year or so old RCBS ChargeMaster Dispenser Scale Combo that I use regularly. It is plugged into a power strip with other devices The weight scale I check regularly, and leave it powered on for days and have had very little if any variance in the check weight validations. It works great. I am acutely aware of others with very different experiences and the Chargemasters

The removing of the pan to empty into the case is where I originally noticed a change in the scale readings. My pan weighs 120.5grn. I zero out the scale with the pan on it and when I remove it it reads -120.5gns obviously. It will eventually start to read -120.4, -120.3,.......but when I put the pan back on the scale always reads 0. Can't figure that one out

I just want a scale that works.
Like "Dog Rocket" said...all Load-Cell scales will drift. I had the same issue with a Hornady Lock-N-Load scale. I saved up until I could purchase an A&D FX120i (this past August/September) and I couldn't be happier with it. I calibrated it upon receiving it, weighed my empty powder pan and then zero'd the scale against that weight. So far it has not deviated from that weight...

The removing of the pan to empty into the case is where I originally noticed a change in the scale readings. My pan weighs 120.5grn. I zero out the scale with the pan on it and when I remove it it reads -120.5gns obviously. It will eventually start to read -120.4, -120.3,.......but when I put the pan back on the scale always reads 0. Can't figure that one out
You are due for a new scale. If the repeatability/linearity isn't any better than that, then it can't be trusted. As I said before, my Ohaus beam scale is literally 10 times more repeatable than that.

I am leaning towards a rcbs chargemaster light but simply because of the time of year and a ski vacation coming up in January the $400+ is out of the question right now so I am looking at a cheaper but I'm a bit sceptical on a cheap digital one again.
Dog Rocket mentioned the Ohaus 505 as a good beam scale. The beam scales don't seem to be as user friendly but at least they don't seem to go out of calibration. It should work until I get a chargemaster. is this a decent one.

Attachments

• 417DE190-FC9E-4036-B20C-4FCC79FF0AA7.png
    417DE190-FC9E-4036-B20C-4FCC79FF0AA7.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
I am leaning towards a rcbs chargemaster light but simply because of the time of year and a ski vacation coming up in January the $400+ is out of the question right now so I am looking at a cheaper but I'm a bit sceptical on a cheap digital one again.
Dog Rocket mentioned the Ohaus 505 as a good beam scale. The beam scales don't seem to be as user friendly but at least they don't seem to go out of calibration. It should work until I get a chargemaster. is this a decent one.
Ohaus are very well respected scales from a long time manufacturer of scales

Edit: I'm pretty sure those are fake.

I would NOT trust that listing! I was under the impression that Ohaus quit branding these scales with thier name a long time ago. Where would some seller get 9 new ones?

The old Lyman D5's and D7's, and old vintage light green RCBS 505's are the same scale, just different branding. Probably one near you on ebay or something.

Last edited:
OK, I have a RCBS RangeMaster 2000, inexpensive but has worked well for me so far. The real question is the scale accurate when you weigh and charge your case? Does it calibrate and hold calibration for the time you load? If it does both and you have calibrated against known weights and maybe even against a balance beam scale, I wouldn't worry about it. If doesn't hold calibration over the time required to load your cases, then that is entirely different issue and big concern as suggested. If you lift your weigh pan and return it to scale and keeps zero, if the pan minus weight on scale remains the same when you lift the pan, again I wouldn't worry about it. Are you using DC or battery power? Do you calibrate every time you use the scale? Have you cleaned the scale pan? Do you keep it covered to protect it from environmental influences; dust and other floaties in air. Do you use a heater nearby? Heat and or cold air can change scale operating temperatures which can influence scales since it was calibrated at different temperature. Have you tried to "cover" the scale when pan is on it to see if it moves when outside influences are completely removed?

There also some environmental factors to look at so you can be sure it isn't the scale. Some scales react weird with fluorescent lighting, do you have return air ductwork near bench, other potential air movement, other electrical interference's?

My RCBS has proven to provide really good ES and SD below 10 so I know it is doing the job. Even so I periodically compare against my RCBS beam balance and always spot on.

You don't have to have a $$$$ digital scale if you use them in a manner that is geared to their best operating parameter.

The real question is the scale accurate when you weigh and charge your case? Does it calibrate and hold calibration for the time you load? I think so. When I zero it with the pan on it and I remove the pan, it reads -120.5 gns, which is what the pan weighs. Sometimes when I weigh a charge and remove the pan it says -120.4 or -120.3 or -120.6 grains. But it always goes back to 0.0 gns when I replace the pan, always.

If it does both and you have calibrated against known weights and maybe even against a balance beam scale, I wouldn't worry about it.
I always calibrate it before each use with the supplied calibration weight. Next time when I calibrate it and zero it I will weigh the calibration weight so when it goes out of calibration when I lift my pan next time, I will set the calibration weight on and see what it reads. I will also borrow my buddy's scale and compare it to his to see if there is a difference when it starts acting up again.

If you lift your weigh pan and return it to scale and keeps zero,
It does
if the pan minus weight on scale remains the same when you lift the pan, again I wouldn't worry about it.
With the pan removed is when I see the discrepency in the readings, when I replace the pan it always zero's out to 0.0 gns

Are you using DC or battery power?
Battery

Do you calibrate every time you use the scale?
yes

Have you cleaned the scale pan?
yes

Do you keep it covered to protect it from environmental influences; dust and other floaties in air.
yes, when not in use

Do you use a heater nearby? Heat and or cold air can change scale operating temperatures which can influence scales since it was calibrated at different temperature.
No. I have radiant infloor heat in my shop and that is where my reloading bench is so there no air movenent and the temperature stays constant.

Have you tried to "cover" the scale when pan is on it to see if it moves when outside influences are completely removed?
No. I have radiant infloor heat in my shop and that is where my reloading bench is so there no air movenent and the temperature stays constant.

There also some environmental factors to look at so you can be sure it isn't the scale. Some scales react weird with fluorescent lighting, I have LED lighting in my shop

do you have return air ductwork near bench, other potential air movement, other electrical interference's?
No

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.