Powder lot change... what do you do?

DoubleGobble00

So I worked up a load for my 300 win and 300 rum with a pound of H1000. I've used the whole pound and will buy some more. When starting with the new lot, where do you start? A few grains under existing load and work up?

Thanks,

DoubleG

If you don't already, it would be worth it to buy an 8#. Especially loading for 2 cartridge, that burn as much as those two. When I switch jugs, I chrono and work from there. I had a 6.5 load drop from 2825 to 2800. Still shot well and had good sd's but for the long ranges i just added some .1s

I start a couple of grains low, depending on the situation. New brass, primers lots also. Why not, shooting is kinda fun for me

Definitely back off about 5% and work your way bk up, just not worth it ..... Depending how identical you want the load to be to your previous load , you could then cronograph and shoot at distance to verify . 8# is always nice you only need to do it once in a while ...... if you get a higher variance Lot on the next one and you are near or at max in your gun ......5% pressure increase ......, not worth the risk to you or even the gun

Back down a grain or two. Compare velocity. H1000 is pretty consistent. You might get lucky and get the same lot #.