Powder for 280

I had a lot of fun at the range today. I was able to buy some 150 grain Nosler Accubond LR bullets so I loaded some up and spent some time at the range with my Rem. 700 CDL in 280 Rem. and a couple of other guns.

First I did not take my own advise about what powder to use with 140-160 grain bullets. I checked a couple of manuals and found that RL-22 produced very good velocity with 150 grain bullets so I loaded three shot with 54.0 grains, three with 55.0 grains and four with 56.0 grains. All in new RP cases and Br2 primers. I wanted them to fit the mag. so I loaded them .030 off the lands which was good for the mag.
Here are my first three shots at 54 grains, followed with three at 55.0 grains.
My 56.0 grains did not do quite as well so I will stick with the load at 55.0.I think I am ready to take it out a little further after I shoot this load across the chronograph.

Attachments

• MVC-024S.JPG
    MVC-024S.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 73
  • MVC-025S.JPG
    MVC-025S.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
We will be loading for 2 identical ruger number 1s in 280 as well as a tc encore 280 and a ruger hawkeye all weather. We alresdy have some ammo reloaded with the 4831 but we are wanting to try some other options. Thanks for all the options presented though as they will all be considered as we are wanting to experiment some but would ultimately like to have 1 load that we could shoot through all guns but i do know that may be tough to do

I've been shooting a .280 with 140s for quite a while and IMR 4350 has been my go to powder. I recently re barreled my rifle and began experimenting with RL 19. I am getting excellent accuracy and velocity. 60.0 gr of RL 19 under a 140 Accubond gives me 3120 fps. A note of caution - the chamber of my new barrel was cut with a reamer that allows the 140 Accubond to be seated to 3.420". Accuracy is outstanding.

Dan

I've been shooting a Browning A-Bolt 280 for 17 years now and have used IMR 7828 with good results...The past several years I have gravitated to RL-22 with 150 Nosler BT or Partitions....Accuracy is outstanding, (normally high 5's or 6's) if I'm on that day, LOL, and causes whatever I point it at to die very quickly....

57 gr of RL 19, 140 AB gives 2830fps in my Rem 700 Mtn rifle. Mild but accurate, 3/4". Will be trying heavier charges of RL 19 and IMR 4831 just to see if it gets better.

I had a lot of fun at the range today. I was able to buy some 150 grain Nosler Accubond LR bullets so I loaded some up and spent some time at the range with my Rem. 700 CDL in 280 Rem. and a couple of other guns.

First I did not take my own advise about what powder to use with 140-160 grain bullets. I checked a couple of manuals and found that RL-22 produced very good velocity with 150 grain bullets so I loaded three shot with 54.0 grains, three with 55.0 grains and four with 56.0 grains. All in new RP cases and Br2 primers. I wanted them to fit the mag. so I loaded them .030 off the lands which was good for the mag.
Here are my first three shots at 54 grains, followed with three at 55.0 grains.
My 56.0 grains did not do quite as well so I will stick with the load at 55.0.I think I am ready to take it out a little further after I shoot this load across the chronograph.

Good info Shortmagman! Looks like a good load and one I'm interested in trying in my 700 280. Were you able to chrono the load? Thanks for sharing.

I only have used (so far) H-4831sc and 58.5 has been real good with 140AB RP cases and I can seat out to 3.42" but where I stopped was 3.38". This can get me well under 1/2" groups and around 2948fps. 59gr was still under 1/2" and around 2972fps.

Gdaddt662,

It sound sort of crazy buy I have not chrono that load. I got carried away with loading the 150's in other calibers, so I used all I had. Now I can not find any. I will chrono them when I load some more.

Thanks for being interested

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.