Powder Combos for 7mm Mag Berger 168 grain Classic Hunters

We used Retumbo (I know it isn't in your supply) with four 7 rem mags and the 168 classic hunter. Charge weights ranged from 71 to 73 grains. Velocities were 3075 to 3121 fps.

To start off, I'd set your Bergers at .050" off the lands, then work up a powder charge starting at 63.0 grains in half grain increments with 7828. Once you have a consistently accurate powder charge, run a seating depth test with three shots each at .040, .050, and .060 off the lands. I've found a sweet spot at .050" off with Berger hybrids in several rifles.
Thanks Brentc, I had just gave up on the classic hunters. They were supposedly insensitive to seating depth. I read your post and loaded them .054" off and 71.5 gr Retumbo with gm215m primers.

I know this isn't a BR comp. group but its the best group with this bullet yet.
Next I'll try seating them a little farther and see what happens.

This was shot at 200 yards 5 mph head wind.

Attachments

• 20150308_141004.jpg
    20150308_141004.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 123
I wasn't getting the groupings I was looking for.

Did you try working up a ladder test, or were you loading static loads? When I first started reloading I wasn't familiar with ladder testing, and would load up a bunch (20) rounds in the same powder charge and same seating depth, and try them and would get mad if it didn't work. I didn't have a reloading mentor (none of my family or friends reload), so I had basically learn everything I know from either this website, youtube, or personal trial & error. I've learned the hard way, and it has made me a better handloader because I have learned how NOT to reload. :cool:

It's like the old quote, "I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." ― Thomas A. Edison

I recommend giving the 7828 another shot, and working up in a ladder test in .5 gr incriments. Also, try it with Federal 215M primers, and the Berger 168's seated about .015" off the lands.

68.2 grains of 7828 shoots 0.4 MOA 0.010 to 0.020" off lands with my gun. Work up to it though as the node had a pretty tight range. 3100 fps

Can't provide a specific load as I only shoot 160 accubonds but my 7mm mag loves imr7828ssc. Every load I have tried with it has been under .75MOA with most under .5MOA and my best load being 1 ragged hole.

Thanks Brentc, I had just gave up on the classic hunters. They were supposedly insensitive to seating depth. I read your post and loaded them .054" off and 71.5 gr Retumbo with gm215m primers.

I know this isn't a BR comp. group but its the best group with this bullet yet.
Next I'll try seating them a little farther and see what happens.

This was shot at 200 yards 5 mph head wind.
tbrice23,
.556 at 200 yards with an SD OF 5 in a headwind. Was it a fish tailing headwind? Group kind of looks like it maybe was about a 1/4 to 1/2 value wind coming from about 10-11 o'clock?

Do I need to email Berger to find out which grain weight had the best accuracy for each powder? Or is that not recorded? I noticed other reloading books highlighted the the best powder out of all tested and included best weight of each grain.
Dmayer,
We do list any "pet" loads for our bullets as of yet. Maybe in later manuals we will. In any event have you shot the 168s yet? And what did you get as a group.

we have 5, 7mags at the house, 2 custom barrel, 3 factory barrels, between them 4 will really shoot the 7828ssc load over 3000fps and solid moa or a bit better, those rifles all have the same load same brass and interchange, the fifth rifle factory barrel is an h1000 168 classic gun, well under moa gun about 3100 fps, this load wont work in the other guns though,,,

I have about every slow powder and 7828ssc is the first one I grab for 160gr and heavier,,,,
me and retumbo don't see eye to eye in any of the 7 mags,,,,

we have 5, 7mags at the house, 2 custom barrel, 3 factory barrels, between them 4 will really shoot the 7828ssc load over 3000fps and solid moa or a bit better, those rifles all have the same load same brass and interchange, the fifth rifle factory barrel is an h1000 168 classic gun, well under moa gun about 3100 fps, this load wont work in the other guns though,,,

I have about every slow powder and 7828ssc is the first one I grab for 160gr and heavier,,,,
me and retumbo don't see eye to eye in any of the 7 mags,,,,

None of my 7mmRM's have liked Retumbo either. I still have most of a pound sitting on the shelf... Thinking about mixing it with some tannerite and having some fun with the beaver dam in my buddy's pond. LOL

tbrice23,
.556 at 200 yards with an SD OF 5 in a headwind. Was it a fish tailing headwind? Group kind of looks like it maybe was about a 1/4 to 1/2 value wind coming from about 10-11 o'clock?
.556 Moa at 200 yds. Yes you are correct 11 o'clock.

.556 Moa at 200 yds. Yes you are correct 11 o'clock.
tbrice23,
We would suggest trying that load again on out to 300 then maybe 600 yards. .556 group at 200yds with a hunting rifle is outstanding. Set up some type of wind flag arrangement if you can to help you with figuring out what the wind is doing between you and the target if you can. Those two shots out to the right were probably caused by breaking the shots when the wind was building. The first shot Im guessing was the one to the left? Or vise versa? This could be a really good load.

tbrice23,
We would suggest trying that load again on out to 300 then maybe 600 yards. .556 group at 200yds with a hunting rifle is outstanding. Set up some type of wind flag arrangement if you can to help you with figuring out what the wind is doing between you and the target if you can. Those two shots out to the right were probably caused by breaking the shots when the wind was building. The first shot Im guessing was the one to the left? Or vise versa? This could be a really good load.

Yeah, if you zoom in on the pic the shots are numbered, #1, and #4 are touching.

This group was the first four shots out of a cold clean bore.
Criterion bores are smooth as glass.

Yeah, if you zoom in on the pic the shots are numbered, #1, and #4 are touching.

This group was the first four shots out of a cold clean bore.
Criterion bores are smooth as glass.
tbrice23,
Try this. Take about 20 fouling rounds with you the next time you go to the range. Shoot them at a practice target until the bullet strikes stop rising and begin to cluster. Then shoot a group with that same load you shot through the cold clean barrel. Leave the gun sit dirty overnight and take it to the range the next morning and shoot another 3 shot group. Compare the cold bore group with the fouled cold bore group to see which way the rifle is most accurate to take out in the field and set you scope up on that condition. Check the 3 shot group shot after the foulers same day at the range and see if more load testing is necessary. If it is, or you want to try to "tweak" the load a bit then do the foulers before you shoot for group. It its what you want THEN do the cold clean bore shot next morning , finish the range session with foulers , Then do the cold fouled group the next morning. If you have any questions please let us know either here or at [email protected].

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.