Powder Choices for 7mm STW

Retumbo is the powder of choice in the STW's I own(ed). But, I have not shot any bullets over 168 grains in them.

dchamp & Capt Academy,

So far I've tried Retumbo, H1000, and US-869 with the 180g Berger VLDs. And The US-869 was definately not the way to go. It's too Slow and I got no accuracy what so ever out of it. H-1000 Was ok, Groups about 1" at 100yds, But Retumbo actually won the accuracy contest.

Dano- do you remember the charge of us869 you were using? it seems to need 10-15 %+ more than a normal cartridge load of stick powder.

Reloader-22 has always worked well for me.I've used it with bullet weights from 139gr - 175gr.IMR-7828 and H-1000 are also good powders too.

Big Jake Duke,

If I recall I was using 87-88grns of us869 under a 180g Berger VLD.

I actually need to revisit all of my loading again as I actually found a problem with the rifle that led to inconstant results with all of my loads. The rifle actually will throw bullets out of the group at random and it seemed for no reason. So I took the rifle and broke it down reassembling it and found that when I fit the recoil lug (oversized) into the H-S precision stock, it was bottoming out before the action bedded against the bedding block causing stress and inconsistent or lack of proper bedding. I had to remove metal from the bottom of the recoil lug and re-bed the lug. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it since, but by all accounts, the loads that I developed earlier should still shoot and should group even better. We shall see.

However as a side note RL-25 actually shoots well under an inch using 168g Berger VLDs seated to magazine length,

Dan

87-88 of us869 was about 2800 fps?

I think i saw the pressure for that load at about 52-55k

It was actually closer to 2900FPS out of my rifle. I have a 27"bbl... 52-55k sounds about right.

I will probably revisit loading US869 but not with a 180g Berger VLD. Mine has to have them seated Wayyyyy out and turns the rifle into a single shot. I have some 175g Nosler Accubond Long Range that I'm trying to get to shoot. We'll see if it will work better than Retumbo for this bullet.

Dan

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts