Powder charge .3gr over or under.

using a 308 for 1000 is challenging enough without handicapping yourself with poor ammo. you did not say what bullet, what gun, bbl length. alot of variables. 1/10 is a better benchmark( weigh, not thrown) kernal size may allow throwing charges, but not a good idea.
Howa 1500 action in a Boyd's tactical stock ,20" heavy barrel 1/10 twist. Vortex crossfire 3-9×50 (I know not ideal but it works for me), 168 A-max and ELD, powder used to be Varget, due to non existing availability I switched to IMR4064 and love it as much as Varget.

I was just working on a load at 600 yards recently. Testing neck tension. A tighter neck tension game me a wide variance in velocity, but I got to see how it translated to the target. At 600 yards, a 3295FPS round hit just above the bullseye, and then a 3240FPS round hit just below the bullseye. 2 1/2" separation for 55fps at 600 yards. Still 1/2 MOA. I'm not settling on this load whatsoever, but that's still a dead deer or elk all day. My control velocity for my data input was 3260FPS.

Howa 1500 action in a Boyd's tactical stock ,20" heavy barrel 1/10 twist. Vortex crossfire 3-9×50 (I know not ideal but it works for me), 168 A-max and ELD, powder used to be Varget, due to non existing availability I switched to IMR4064 and love it as much as Varget.
20" and 168 is not a long range formula...600/800 maybe, 4064 is very good, look at 175/185.
a 3-9x is not a long range scope, nor is an entry level vortex.
you can shoot 1000 INEXPENSIVELY, but not cheap

Correct,700 yards is a as far as I will take antelope or deer,I'm aware of my load and setup limitations. Soon as ingredients is more available I would like to move to 300 Win and good glass for 1000yards +
But until then I have to work with what I have available.
I welcome any suggestions.

Correct,700 yards is a as far as I will take antelope or deer,I'm aware of my load and setup limitations. Soon as ingredients is more available I would like to move to 300 Win and good glass for 1000yards +
But until then I have to work with what I have available.
I welcome any suggestions.
consider a 300 wsm or a 300 prc also

Would this be something to look at,I do like the Howa action,I just don't know about the barrel.

Would this be something to look at,I do like the Howa action,I just don't know about the barrel.
you need to define your version of 'accuracy"...
then build/buy based on that
till we know what you are trying to do its tuff to answer with intelligent replies

I would absolutely want moa or sub moa at 1000 yards, would be for long range hunting, my 308 setup is very capable of this accuracy at 700 -800 so I wouldn't want anything less,but I want more reach and energy. Also be able to carry the rifle for 5-10 miles would be nice.

Last edited:
168gr eldm do very well out to 1/2 mile with a 308.
195tmk in a 308 will shoot well to 1600yards
Uniform ur flash hole if ur using different brands of brass
If ur shooting target stay with ur 308 for now.
I built a 7rem mag on a vanguard action, which is built by Howa, used a 1:8twist carbon fibre proof barrel, 28" long, great rifle for long range hunting, I use the 180berger hybrid at 3050mv, shot an elk at 590yards and a moose at 150, worked perfect