Powder and loads for 25/06

My Ruger #1V 25-06 has a 24" barrel 1:10 twist. I shoot the 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets with great success. My favorite powder for that bullet is Retumbo. I use a 4.3cc Lee Dipper Cup (the largest cup in the set) when I charge the case. The load is about 1 grain under max and provides excellent case fill. I tweaked the seating depth to my guns liking. I've recommended Retumbo to several people who shoot the 25-06 and they have all had good success with it. I like it a lot better than H-1000. For a lighter load you might try a Sierra 87 grain bullet with 4.3cc of H-4831SC. Same good results.

This was at 150 yards shooting off the hood of my pickup truck.

I currently use the standard Large Rifle Primers from CCI. I've tried both and not noticed any difference. Retumbo is one of the Extreme powders and not temp sensitive like Re 22 or Re 25. I use standard primers with H4831 too.

I currently use the standard Large Rifle Primers from CCI. I've tried both and not noticed any difference. Retumbo is one of the Extreme powders and not temp sensitive like Re 22 or Re 25. I use standard primers with H4831 too.
Thanks for the info! Ill be giving this a try

What kind of velocities are you getting ? Im gonna give retumbo a try. Have you killed anything with the ballistic tips? Whats your experience with them?

Don't have a chrony so can't make any statements about velocity.

Plenty of varmint type critters killed with ballistic tips, ground hogs, foxes, crows, opossums but no larger game. I generally use my 7mm Rem Mag or 45-70 when deer hunting and I like lead tip bullets in those.

The 115 ballistic tip is a GREAT deer bullet.
I use H4831SC in my 25/06 . My varmint load is 85 gr BT and my deer load is with 115 gr BT. Use a standard CCI large rifle primer. Very flat shooting and very destructive. Rifle also shoots Hornady 75 gr V-Max and 100 gr Sierra GK very well. H4831SC is a very good powder in 25/06. Never have used any other powder as H4831 performs great. If it ain't broke don't fix it. Always used just a CCI L.R. Primers not the Magnum. Good luck on your search.

Thank you, I was going to use the 4831sc I have, I have heard good things about it in the 25-06, Also 7828ssc. Now retumbo. So I have a couple options. I am currently using the 4831sc in my 280AI and it shoots one hole.

Work up to it but 52 grs H4831 is usually THE load with 115 and 117 gr bullets in the 25-06. 49 grs IMR or AA 4350 with CCI250 primers usually is VERY ACCURATE also.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.