Possible to DIY build a precision rifle?

Completely doable.

28" proof 1-9.4 .300 WM
XLR magnesium chassis
ARC NUCLEUS action
Timney Calvin elite
YHM suppressor
Luth-AR stock

Attachments

• 35725685-B7DC-431B-B1EC-824E03BA5E6D.jpeg
    35725685-B7DC-431B-B1EC-824E03BA5E6D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 263
I am in the process of building my first off of a bighorn TL3, just waiting for the barrel to come in and I'll let you know how it goes. There are so many good options right now that unless you have a Remington action you are really attached to, it's cheaper to get a bighorn origin or similar. You can get pre-fit barrels from a host of different manufacturers, and just screw on a new tube when you either shoot out your old barrel or decide to try something new.
The replaceable bolt head on the bighorns was one of the big selling points for me, my local range only goes to 300 so I will keep a .223 barrel on there 90% of the time, but will keep a 6mm creed for matches/distance and something bigger for hunting.

Caution, building your own takes the addiction to a whole 'nuther level.
Here's great starting point, unless you're itching to build yourself:

I don't know if you can still call it a "build," but another option is to just buy a barreled action that a professional machinist gunsmith has already done the fitting for. A R700 5r police barreled action will run you about $500. Brownells has Howa 1500, Bergara premier, and Defiance barreled actions from $600-$2k. If you want something to bolt together and work, it's something to consider. I did the .300WM below on one of those cheap remmy's and it's really impressed me.

I've heard building from scratch isn't that hard either, but I haven't had the nerve yet. All this talk about "pre-fits" might just hit me right in the moneys.
5B6ED83B-A85D-41E0-8014-B63383320C07.jpeg

I've built a couple of semi-auto rifles, they're so modular that it's pretty easy to do so successfully. Is it similarly possible to build a bolt-action precision rifle? I had a custom AR upper built with a 30" Bartlein 5R progressive twist (6.5) barrel in 224 Valkyrie. I load close to the lands so the rounds are long and don't feed through a magazine, and I now think I should have had it built in a bolt action rifle. Is it reasonably possible for a mechanically-capable shooter to build a bolt gun? I know things like truing the bolt face would need to be done by a smith with the knowledge & equipment, but can a shooter normally select compatible parts and assemble the rifle successfully ?
Jeff
Yes it can be done. What's your budget?

There's several good custom actions with Rem700 footprint out there that take Remage and Savage pre-fits (Big Horn, Kelbly, Defiance, and a few others) and sever reputable barrel makers make prefits designed to be used with a barrel nut on the Savage and Remington thread patter (Proof Research SS or Carbon, McGowen, Shilen, Criterion and probably several others)

You'll probably need around $200 worth of tools (action wrench, barrel vise, and go/no-go guages for headspace).

Since you want everything to just bolt together I'd go the custom action route vs getting a factory Remington or Savage as your base because the custom will be in a lot better spec out of the box vs a factory action needing to be cleaned up and trued a bit.

Since most of the customs are R700 patter that means the world is your oyster as far as stocks, scope mounts, triggers, bottom metal... you dream it you can build it.

I just built a 6 GT, PRS style rifle using an Impact Precision action, Area 419 profit Bartlein barrel, Bix n Andy trigger, APA gen 3 brake, and a Manners PRS2 stock. The gun is a tack driver. Lots of sub 1/4 MOA 5 shot groups with Berger 105 Hybrids and Berger 109 LR bullets with Varget. I did it all myself. It was very gratifying.

I am thinking about building a 7 SAUM this fall.

You guys are all a great source of knowledgeable info and it's much appreciated. My proposed rifle would be used for ELR so weight isn't critical, since I won't be humping it through the brush.

I don't have a budget yet, but your inputs are helping me develop one. Money doesn't grow on trees so budget isn't unlimited, plus I do have a wife so the project must ultimately meet the "wife test." I got a good one, though, and she's pretty understanding.

Given the numbers I'm seeing, it's likely I'll build this thing over time, one piece at a time, especially since I'll want the assembled components to be capable of ELR precision, which is the only way I'll ultimately find out if I'm capable of ELR precision. Regarding re-purposing the barrel, I'd forgotten about the gas port, thx for mentioning that, P7M13. I do like the idea of easily-changed barrels, although that alone is likely a force multiplier for this addiction we're all enjoying (some wives might instead say "suffering from").

Pls keep the info coming, and especially your results with your chosen components. I'm researching every item mentioned since this is a great education when converting from gas guns, which I'm familiar with, to the interaction between the components of bolt guns.

I've built a couple of semi-auto rifles, they're so modular that it's pretty easy to do so successfully. Is it similarly possible to build a bolt-action precision rifle? I had a custom AR upper built with a 30" Bartlein 5R progressive twist (6.5) barrel in 224 Valkyrie. I load close to the lands so the rounds are long and don't feed through a magazine, and I now think I should have had it built in a bolt action rifle. Is it reasonably possible for a mechanically-capable shooter to build a bolt gun? I know things like truing the bolt face would need to be done by a smith with the knowledge & equipment, but can a shooter normally select compatible parts and assemble the rifle successfully ?
Jeff
Savage 6.5 creed. Action from a model 10, barrel 28" Shilen, stock A5 (had to do some work on the stock because barrel was 1". Target was 330 yds 140 Berger.

Attachments

• 476B52A4-82BD-43EB-BCC7-9E207BEE2923.jpeg
    476B52A4-82BD-43EB-BCC7-9E207BEE2923.jpeg
    218.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 06F9DF25-73F6-4709-B6B7-6805745E80A3.jpeg
    06F9DF25-73F6-4709-B6B7-6805745E80A3.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 140
Man, that's good shooting. I've never liked savage actions, but everyone who has one (or rather builds on one) seems to get results like that. My best friend has a couple that he built that shoot like that. The best part is that he built them all cheap in his living room. I think I pay more to my gunsmith for a new barrel than he pays for a full build.

Man, that's good shooting. I've never liked savage actions, but everyone who has one (or rather builds on one) seems to get results like that. My best friend has a couple that he built that shoot like that. The best part is that he built them all cheap in his living room. I think I pay more to my gunsmith for a new barrel than he pays for a full build.

The work put into the cartridge has a lot to do with the success at the range (if we do our part). I have a Savage Model 12 .223 (400.00 new) that shoots almost that good.

I built a 338 RUM from a Savage 116 last year. Did a McGowan prefit barrel, Bell and Carlson M40 stock, kept the accutrigger and put on a MBM Beast brake. It will easily shoot .5 moa if I do my part. I'll do it all again as soon as I get permission. Next time it will be ground up with a Bighorn Origin action

Attachments

• B5656C99-5B88-4B1A-BF73-E646F119F4A8.jpg
    B5656C99-5B88-4B1A-BF73-E646F119F4A8.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 131
  • 1A6DB977-9986-4B36-9A06-45F6BB0345A0.jpeg
    1A6DB977-9986-4B36-9A06-45F6BB0345A0.jpeg
    65.6 KB · Views: 118
You guys are all a great source of knowledgeable info and it's much appreciated. My proposed rifle would be used for ELR so weight isn't critical, since I won't be humping it through the brush.

I don't have a budget yet, but your inputs are helping me develop one. Money doesn't grow on trees so budget isn't unlimited, plus I do have a wife so the project must ultimately meet the "wife test." I got a good one, though, and she's pretty understanding.

Given the numbers I'm seeing, it's likely I'll build this thing over time, one piece at a time, especially since I'll want the assembled components to be capable of ELR precision, which is the only way I'll ultimately find out if I'm capable of ELR precision. Regarding re-purposing the barrel, I'd forgotten about the gas port, thx for mentioning that, P7M13. I do like the idea of easily-changed barrels, although that alone is likely a force multiplier for this addiction we're all enjoying (some wives might instead say "suffering from").

Pls keep the info coming, and especially your results with your chosen components. I'm researching every item mentioned since this is a great education when converting from gas guns, which I'm familiar with, to the interaction between the components of bolt guns.
224 Valkyrie is not a suitable ELR caliber. The ballistic coefficient is too low and the muzzle velocity too, even with a 30" barrel. Beside that, with the type of targets you shoot at for ELR, spotting your misses is very important. Most people say .338" is acceptable but .375"+ is better for creating "splash" on a miss.

For those reasons I chose 338 RUM for my entry level, fairly low budget DIY ELR gun.

I did preorders for my action and chassis so that was a little under $2,000, my barrel was a little under $700, I bought my trigger on sale for $216, my muzzle brake was $195 and my magazines were $85 each I think. So about $3,200 for the base gun.

For now I'm using a scope I have on hand but eventually that's going to be another $1,800 expense for a Tract 34mm tube scope and some ARC rings I have. I could spend a lot more if I wanted and if I went nuts, a Charlie Tarac attached to an NV bridge wouldn't be cheap.

I'm also working on a linear bearing bipod mount like Mark and Sam after work which I'll attach my Ckye pod to. That's about $700 with my rear bag to make a portable/light weight almost a benchrest setup.

The preorders saved almost $800 on my action and chassis but you could go for something like a KRG Bravo and a trued Remington 700 for less. For a 338, you will need a brake but I needed a self timing brake so you could save some money there. Single shot doesn't need a magazine.

My rifle may seem expensive but it's cheap compared to a custom built for 338 Lapua Magnum or one of the .375" up ELR rounds.

Reloading gets expensive too. Bullets cost at least twice what you would spend on 224 and solids for real ELR work are even more. Powder is about 3-6x as much. Brass can be a really big expense. Dies can be expensive if you choose an uncommon/wildcat round. If you go big enough, you might have to upgrade your reloading press. I was looking to see if a Lee APP press could be a good dedicated depriming press for me but 338 RUM is too long, I'm not sure if I should get it for my other reloading.

You should know what you are getting in to if you have to justify it. I only have to justify my rifles to myself and that is why my entry level ELR rifle isn't the type of thing you would see on the firing line at King of Two Mile. It is going to be nice but as much as it cost, budget was a huge factor.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.