Please help me understand MOA

Ridge Runner,
I get it! Thanks alot for the explanation once again. I am more of a hands on guy then anything else. So I need multiple examples on paper before it clicks!
I did have one question though, Just for future reference, how do you know that MOA is 1.4073" and not 1"? I was just curiouse because the top of the turret shows, " 1/4" at 100yards", so i assumed MOA would be 1". Are all scopes 1.4073 MOA or is it just the leupold VX2?

Thanks again,
Nick-

according to leupolds web sight they are all the same, inches per hundred yards and MOA, no difference, however my mark 4's say 1/4 MOA so thats what I use.
If your scope is IPHY then you just use .250 per click at 100, .5 per click at 200, 1" at 400, 1.25 at 500 and so on its still a degree thing.
It really makes no difference how you figure it till you get to extreme range.
say your scope is 1/4" adjustments and you figure .261 for MOA, and say you adjust 19 moa for a 1000 yard shot
your off .11" per click at 1000
19x4=76x.11" =8.36"
RR

I see, wow.... I see why practice is so important. I went onto leupolds website so I new what to look for, for future reference and It says...... "¼-minute click adjustments for windage and elevation". So if Iam understanding this correctly it translates to MOA is 1" at 100 yards?

So if Iam shooting a .243 Win, I have a coyote ranged at 450 yards. Iam sighted in at 200 yards. My bullet has a 21.2" drop at 450 yards.

1 (MOA at 100yds) x 4.5 (translation of 450 yards) = 4.5
4.5 MOA at 450 yards
21.2 (Bullet drop at 450yds) / 4.5 (MOA at 450 yards) = 4.71 MOA

4.71 MOA translates too....... Adjust elevation turret UP 4MOA and 3 clicks. Which also translates to 19 "clicks".

Do I have this right?

Last edited:
So counting moa versus clicks only works if your scope has moa numbers...that I understand and I guess that was in mind when the advice was given to count moa and not clicks but if a scope has no moa numbers and just 1/4" increments then I guess you'd still have to count clicks...correct???

Correct. The assumption was made we were talking about scope turrets with some sort with graduations marked on them. If you plan to dial your corrections on a regular basis this is something that will be at the top of your wanted list.

Ridge Runner's formulas and explanations work, he just missed that first shot by a couple inches. We've all done similar. :D

So counting moa versus clicks only works if your scope has moa numbers...that I understand and I guess that was in mind when the advice was given to count moa and not clicks but if a scope has no moa numbers and just 1/4" increments then I guess you'd still have to count clicks...correct???

Short answer... yes. The real solution... get target turrets :)

Ridge Runner,
I get it! Thanks alot for the explanation once again. I am more of a hands on guy then anything else. So I need multiple examples on paper before it clicks!
I did have one question though, Just for future reference, how do you know that MOA is 1.4073" and not 1"? I was just curiouse because the top of the turret shows, " 1/4" at 100yards", so i assumed MOA would be 1". Are all scopes 1.4073 MOA or is it just the leupold VX2?

Thanks again,
Nick-

We know that 1 actual MOA (vs a Leupy MOA) is 1.047" because there are 360 degrees in a circle and there are 60 minutes in a degree and if you do the math, 1 MOA @ 100 yds = 1.047" and @ 200 yds = 2.094" etc.

MontanaRifleman,

So if I understand correctly 1 MOA at 100 yards = 1.407" on all scopes. Not just leupold scopes? Iam starting to see the full picture now.

Iam really starting to get into this stuff!

Iam about to purchase a leupold VXII 4.5-14x40 because the rifle iam going to mount it too will be a "all around hunting rifle, but I would like the capability of shooting long range with it. (Kimber Montana 300 WM). I have noticed not many people have leupold scopes on their rifles or atleast this particular model. is there a reason for that? Should I consider a different scope?

Thanks,
nick-

Nothing wrong with Leupolds, I own em and don't think you'd be disappointed with one. Not wanting to get into a contest about what determines LR but for me anything 800+ yards is getting there and so if your talking in the same ballpark then you might want to consider something with a little higher magnification...well at least for me it's the eyes are getting older. You may also want to consider a NF-very rugged 5.5x22 but pricey.

Nikolakangrga,
You have one mistake in your past comment:
So if I understand correctly 1 MOA at 100 yards = 1.407" on all scopes. Not just leupold scopes? Iam starting to see the full picture now.
1 actual MOA is 1.047 not 1.407.
As explained by MontanaRifleman
We know that 1 actual MOA (vs a Leupy MOA) is 1.047" because there are 360 degrees in a circle and there are 60 minutes in a degree and if you do the math, 1 MOA @ 100 yds = 1.047" and @ 200 yds = 2.094" etc.
It is important that you have the numbers right for this.
Hope this helps.

HUAINAMACHERO, good read and the test is pretty cool too! Thanks for posting the link.

MontanaRifleman,

Iam really starting to get into this stuff!

Iam about to purchase a leupold VXII 4.5-14x40 because the rifle iam going to mount it too will be a "all around hunting rifle, but I would like the capability of shooting long range with it. (Kimber Montana 300 WM). I have noticed not many people have leupold scopes on their rifles or atleast this particular model. is there a reason for that? Should I consider a different scope?

Thanks,
nick-

Nick,

I have no personal experience with Leupold, but from other posts I read, it sounds to me that they do NOT use a true MOA turret. Many scope manufacturers use IPHY (inches per hundred yards) and call it MOA because it is close.... 1" vs 1.047". It doesn't really matter as long as you know what you are using and compensate for it accordingly. But there is a difference and at extended ranges it will add up. The difference @ 1000 yds for 1 MOA of travel is about 1/2", for 10 MOA it's about 5" and for 20 MOA it's about 10", which is a typical drop for a lot of cartridges.

I prefer the true MOA because that's what most ballisitc programs use and there is no confusion in terminology. The IPHY system is less mental work if you think in inches.

Mark

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.