Please help me decide

ka30270

I am wanting a long range rifle and can't decide on what to do. I had planed on buying a Savage action and putting a 28" Pac-nor in 6.5WSM in a Stockade stock to shoot the 140gr Bergers. BUT recently a friend of mine decided he wanted to sell one of his many rifles simply because he never shoots it, which is a Sendero VS-II in 7mm RUM that has ben timed and trued, aftermarket trigger, and a muzzle brake. Including barrel brake in sequence it has logged less than 75 down the bore. All gunsmithing work was performed by David Tooley. I will come out cheaper with the Sendero but I kinda wanted the longer barrel for velocity. What do you think?

thats a great rifle for shooting/hunting at long range, but you could go with something else that wont eat so much powder, and will have more barrel life! just something to think about i've made lots of progress in learning to shoot LR with my stock savage .243 this year, shot 1k yards today for the first time! pretty much any rifle will suffice to get you into long range shooting!

I have several rifles and the one I have dedicated to beanfields is a 26" 270 WSM running a 130 Barnes at 3500fps. I had a Sendero in 300 Win that I sold to buy my Dad a rifle he wanted for Christmas 3 years ago and I miss it so I want another but I have always wanted to play with a 6.5 caliber because of the high B.C. and S.D. I am going to do one or the other just bacause I love rifles in general. I can buy the Sendero for $750 and I have seen it shoot cloverleaves with the 154 SST. Would you go custom barrel or a great deal on a trued action trigger and brake? I know it is a win win but I cant afford to do both.

lucky21,
I'd go with the friends Sendero. You have everything you need to get started, now, with no waiting on parts/service. You can shoot the Sendero/7RUM until the barrel goes. You can load the RUM down to match what the 6.5WSM would deliver, or rev it up and flex your muscle.
You can still get the 28" Pac-Nor barrel at a later date. You'll have a trued action with an aftermarket trigger, setting in a great foundation (HS Precision stock). If you explain to Pac-Nor that you have a muzzle break (MB) you want to use, I'm pretty sure they could contour and thread the new barrel to match the current RUM barrel. Don't know why you couldn't send a .264" diameter bullet through a MB designed for a .284" bullet.
Not sure what the 6.5WSM is capable of, but should be a decent round. I have a .270WSM (24" barrel) and it's impressive! I saw a guy out in Wa. state (RattleSnake Rifle Range) shooting a 6.5WSM at the 1K range and while he wasn't "shutting" everyone down, he was holding his own. Not sure how this round would compare to the .264WinMag. I've always thought that would be an excellent round for LR deer/elk with the right bullets. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.