Please Help! Cheek Weld issues - me vs. stock

rexallen

I am fairly new to the sport and art of long range shooting and seem to be having issues getting a good cheek weld on my rifles. As background for my upcoming question, I have two 308s and am juggling around with three stocks that I own for them: a B&C A5 with adj. LOP and Cheek Height, a HS Precision take-off of a 700p, and the m24 style with adj. LOP. I also have and a new GAP 300 wsm riding in a McMillan with adj. LOP.

It seems to me like lots of stocks come without adjustable cheek height, although lots of them do too. When trying to figure out which set-up to use, I mount the barreled action cradling my Leu 6.5-20x50mm scope. When I put my comfortable cheek weld on each stock (with the exception of the B&C which height is adjustable), I cannot get a good weld and still be able to see through the scope!

It seems like I have to have my head almost floating (not good) in order to see clearly through my scope. With my head resting comfortably on each stock, my sight alignment is 1-2" too low.

QUESTION: Is it me not having the correct form, or is there something that needs to be done (like drilling into the stocks to add holes to house a base for some sort of makeshift spacer system)??

I have seen some videos where instructors have done just this and have emphasized having a good, solid, and repeatable cheek weld on the rifle. I am wondering why some higher end (i.e. McMillan, Manners, etc) stocks and chassis systems wouldn't have adjustable cheek rise? I just can't imagine drilling into (or grossly modifying) my $300 HS 700p stock, let alone my McMillan or others approaching $1,000+

Please shed some light and help end my frustration. And if I have misplaced this thread, please redirect.

Thank you!

In fewer words:

Is my cheek height issue (not being able to see through the scope with a comfortable cheek weld - too low) an issue of me needing do do something to modify my stocks or an issue of me needing to modify my technique?

I have not received any tactical training at all thus I am not familiar with what a "standard" cheek weld should be. I've gone from the cheek bone riding hard on the top of the cheek piece to my cheek "just" brushing it.

I figure that the most important thing is that when you get into position behind the rifle regardless of bench/prone/off-hand, shooting up hill or down hill the full field of view of the scope should be immediately available.

A fella can spend various, sometimes large, amounts of dollars getting a proper fit. I've seen McMillan A-5s w/adjustable cheek pieces torqued and slanted various ways to meet the needs of the specific shooter.

I have found much greater shooting consistency when the stock is change rather than change my style as my style does not remain consistent when shooting positions become extremely out of the ordinary.

The picture below shows my solution.

This solution includes velcro, leather and DIY spacers.

Velcro allows mounting the riser without doing anything to negatively impact value of the stock.

The stock on the upper rifle is a DIY proto-type design. The bottom rig's stock is a McMillan A-5

The spacers are made of leather gorilla glued layer by layer until I got what was right for me. When I mount the rifle regardless of position the scope picture is immediately there. Quite pleasing!!!

Select some materials to do your proto-typing. About anything will do. Denim, canvas . . . whatever. The important part is the spacer.

The bottom one made of hair-on hide is quite the conversation starter.:D

Attachments

• ELR Rifles.jpg
    ELR Rifles.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 69
More hair on that hide than on my pate........:)

I run an adjustable cheek myself, the same one that Len offers in his store on this site. Bought mine prior to Len carrying them. Not too difficult to install at home but easier to have a smith do it.

My son uses my guns too, so what I did was mark the stock and cheek piece with a paint marker at the exact point where I need it set and where my son needs it set. The other issue (on the Savage 111/338 at least) is you have to remove the cheek piece to completely extract the bolt, so indexing the cheek is mandatory..... or fiddling is in order everytime you pull the bolt....

No 2 people really have the same cheek to stock engagement point to align their eye with the scope for maximum eye relief without an opaque circle.

rexallen said:
In fewer words:

Is my cheek height issue (not being able to see through the scope with a comfortable cheek weld - too low) an issue of me needing do do something to modify my stocks or an issue of me needing to modify my technique?

I recommend, like others have done, that you make the rifle fit your skeleton, and not visa versa. To convince yourself this the right approach, fabricate a makeshift cheek rest using a rasp file and packing styrofoam or insulation styrofoam from Home Depot. Almost any closed cell foam will work. You can also compress open cell foam using a tight wrap of duct tape. Don't worry about it being pretty.

Spend a day shooting with your makeshift rest, then remove it and spend another day shooting without it. I think you will strongly prefer shooting with a proper cheek rest.

If so, install a permanent cheek rest (adjustable or custom). There are many options available. If you go with wood block construction, it should be easily removable.

Look at it this way, those expensive stocks are worthless to you if they don't fit your frame.

Bruce

Thats kind of what i did with 3 of my rifles. I took double sided tape and built up my stock with pieces of outdoor carpet then wrapped them down with camoflaged tape. Thier still that way. Why spend money on something i don't have to. When at the range i call them My Getto Check Welder

It's not perfect, but Cabela's sells a Beartooth Comb Raiser kit. They're a stretch nylon/neoprene sleeve in black or brown, with several thicknesses of foam pads that go between the sleeve and stock. I've used 3 of them and one is on my .340. The're comfortable, won't stick to your face when it's cold, and are easy on your cheekbone if you shoot a hard kicker. Not perfect, but they help, cost about $35, and don't require any modifications to your stock.

I like to mount the rifle comfortably with my eyes closed. I figure I have a good cheekweld if I'm looking down the pipe every time I open my eyes.

Worth checking out.

Tom

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.