Remington's Quality Issues......Please inform me.

Re: Remington\'s Quality Issues......Please inform me.

My sendero is at Remington right now. Originally I thought it was just the extractor that broke. Well to make a long story short the whole end of the bolt broke off. I wasn't even shooting a max load and the case had no sign of pressure.

Mind"crime"...

What "Stren" has done to Remington IS a crime.

I used to be a Remington wholesaler, and retail dealer... and always loved them. And I have a rack of Remington varmint rifles.

In 1980, I bought a 308 VS and it was BEAUTIFUL... a very high gloss polish and bluing on the receiver and barrel (with no buffing ripples)... the bolt and action were smooth and slick. The bolt fit the action with no play. I was fool enough to sell it in a minute of "I gotta have something else".
frown.gif

I have bought 5 Remington rifles since '92, and 4 are gone and good riddance. 3 were PSS's and were dogs, the forth was a VS, and it was poor.

The 5th, my most recent M700 addition, is a .221 Fireball "Classic" that I bought three months ago. I have always loved the cartridge and wanted a light weight "Walkin' Varmint rifle", cuz all the others are 15+ pounds.

Here's what I got... the checkering on the right side of the pistol grip doesn't fill out the pattern. On the left side, the checkering is just light lines scratched on the finish, and the tops of the "diamonds" are flat and glossy. While this is a pain in the ***, I can fix them with a checkering tool... but -

The bluing on the receiver is two different colors.

There are tool marks on the outside of the receiver that were there before polishing and bluing... they should have been polished out, but the polishing job is so poor, that there are places where the finishing belt never touched the receiver, and the first rough polishing marks are in plain sight.

The barrel has FOUR loose places... after a good cleaning, when you push a tight patch through the barrel, you can feel the resistance change FOUR times in 24"

frown.gif
frown.gif

I glass bedded the action and floated the barrel.

When I shot it, the barrel was poor, and shot oblong groups, stringing from 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock, regardless of the load. Groups ran from 2" to 3".

Now, before you say "Maybe he can't shoot", let me assure you that I have 45+ years of shooting, including a few years of benchrest.

Unfortunatly, the concept "Send it back to Remington" is a waste of time and postage... Remington will do nothing. I have tried this in the past (as have others) and Remington will do nothing.

Remingtons standard is 2" at 100... plus if you adjust the trigger, your warrentee is void, unless you let them sell you a new trigger!

On the site I spend most of my time on, there have been about 100 people complaining on new Rem 700's over the last 4 years, and NOBODY has said that they got a new Rem and it was beautiful. The best you can expect is that it will be "OK", and it goes down hill from there. They will fix almost nothing, they will not replace bad barrels, and will not fix it if you have adjusted the trigger, unless you aggree to buy a new trigger... about $135-$175 installed. ****... you can get a Jewel for that, or a Timney and $100 change back.

On the otherhand... on the same website, there was only ONE complaint about a Winchester (Stealth), the fellow sent it back to Winchester, and Win appologized profusely and said he could have a brand new (hand inspected) rifle, OR... all his money back, including his shipping expences.

Remington is having very bad times... most of the repair people at Illion NY have been fired, and now when you send a gun to Remington for repairs, they send it out to small gun shops around the country to have it repaired, and when you get it back, the return address on the box will say "Joe's guns and Outboard Motor repair" or some other jerkwater shop in the swamps.

That's the way it is... the .221 fireball is off to Darrel Holland for a new barrel.

For a inexpensive "walking" rifle, it will be around $600 to fix it and make it right, so now I will have a $1,200 "walking Varmint Rifle"... Puke!!

Had I known what I was in for, I would have bought a used 10+ year old M700 and built the .221 myself... it would have been cheaper, and better.

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

CatShooter.

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

Catshooter

I have another horror story concerning Remington and I will be posting the match dates for Williamsport 1000 yd matches after the 19th of this month. We have our winter Board meeting then. Maybe you would be interested in coming over?

Concerning Remington
Had a friend call me and say he had a Remington 721/300 H&H that when he fired it, the case had a ring all the way around it like a seperation. he said he had sent it to Remington and they said it had been rechambered by someone and there was a tooling mark in the chamber and they would not do anything to it.

I asked him, have you fired the rifle much in the last 10 or 15 years? He said NO, it was in his gun cabinent for years without shooting it.
I asked if it did that to the case BEFORE he stored it? He said no.
I asked if the rifle was stored with the butt stock down and the barrel up and did he run a patch of oil through the barrel about every year without cleaning the chamber to?
he said yes to both.
I had him bring the rifle to me and with a lot of soaking of the chamber and the use of a chamber brush, I was able to get the "Hardened" build up of oil ring out of the chamber. The rifle is fine and I now own it.

Fact remains, Remington did not even look at this closely. To add to that, NEVER store a rifle for long periods of time with the stock down.
Store them with the muzzle down and a piece of cloth under it to carch the oil that drains from the barrel.

Tip of the day (for those who didn't know) from someone (my friend) who had the problem and now stores all his rifles with the muzzle down.

later
DC

Darrel...

I have another horror story concerning Remington and I will be posting the match dates for Williamsport 1000 yd matches after the 19th of this month. We have our winter Board meeting then. Maybe you would be interested in coming over?

I'd love to... I built a 300WM - M24 Sniper match rifle that I haven't had a chance to shoot at 1000 yet. It'll shoot in the 16 pound class. Youz guys can beat me to a pulp
wink.gif

I got so wired from this thread, that I just got off the horn with Illion, and they said they have no problems, and mine was the "first" complaint about the .221 Classics they have had...

I spent the next 45 minutes telling them the horrors about my presentation grade .410 sheet gun... load 4 rounds, and pull the bolt back, and all the rounds dump... they kept sending it to "outsource" repair shops who had never seen an 1100 rem, and had never seen a .410. It took 3 trips to these jerks over four months, until Rem would give it to the "in house" (aka experenced) repair guys that fixed it an had it out in two days.
The problems with the new $1500 40-XB barreled action (that I built the M24 with) that the chamber and throat had so many tool marks in it from a damaged reamer, that I needed a rubber hammer to open the action after the first shot (a light load - 64/H4350/190SMK), and it needed to have the barrel replaced. They did the same thing to me as your friend... for 6 weeks, repeatedly said that "I" ruined the chamber until I told them to look INTO the chamber with a scope... then they admitted that it was their fault, and replaced the barrel for free.
BUT... how the hell do you send out a gun that has to have the action opened with a rubber mallet?????????

... and a slew of other complaints. She said "I'll try to have someone get in touch with you."
I kinda felt bad for her, I mean she didn't need to have me on the phone on Monday morning
wink.gif
wink.gif
And I did tell her not to take it personal.

I also comfirmed that they have switched from H-S Precision stock, to the Bell & Carlson stock on the VS family... they save about $125 per gun... the buyer saves NOTHING
frown.gif

I'll see you at WmsPort this year fur sure fur sure
wink.gif

The CatShooter.

[ 01-06-2003: Message edited by: CatShooter ]

I must be lucky,I purchased a VLS in .308
all I did was float the barrel and lightin
up the trigger. And shoot.50 to.75 MOA 100
the only thing I dont like is I cant find a stock like that for my 03A3 SPRINGFIELD.
I can hit a 10x10 3/4 steel target at 400 yds
all day long.
Keith.....

Catshooter, Darrel Holland was a good choice.....he built my 6mm Ackley. As for the REMS, I think your right, I'll stop looking at new ones, and build it right the first time.
wink.gif

Not to stir an old pot, but has anyone had good luck with Remington's new boomers, ie the Ultra Mags in the Sendero SF?
db

To those saying that Remington "does nothing" on warranty claims, I disagree. A couple of years ago, I bought a new VLS in 223. When I fired it, there was a light ring around the brass. (Apparently the reamer caught a chip). It wasn't bad, but I noticed it. After calling Remington, I took it to a local dealer that they referred me to. They test fired it, agreed, boxed it up, and sent it to Remington. A week later, I had a new barrelled action in my original stock. (I had installed a Timney, and Dremeled out a small notch to clear the adjustment screws, so I knew it was my stock. I put the original trigger back on before shipping...). A short note was with it, no questions, no charges of any kind.

Yeah, they should've caught it the first time, but it honestly wasn't that bad. I was looking closely at the brass for pressure signs, etc. Mistakes happen. I was completely satisfied with the way they handled the whole thing.

I recently purchased a Remington 700 VLS chambered in a .223. I drove the guy crazy behind the counter at the gun shop. I saw 5 guns before I found one without a defect in the stock. His answer to me about the quality is, "That's how they come these days". The consumer (us) are our own worst enemy! The more we accept this less than perfect quality, the more they will continue to sell it to us. I own and shoot three Remingtons and they all shoot well enough out of the box with a little work for long range hunting. All I am trying to say here is buyer beware! Don't except it just because you want it really bad. In time it will be quality that makes or breaks Remington.

I bought a Rem VS 25-06 last year and it had a ridge on the shoulder of the chamber. I took it back to the gun dealer and showed him the first fired case and he said it's ugly but it won't hurt a thing. B.S. I sent it back to Rem and I put tiny center punch marks on the bolt, barrel and the receiver to see if they did anything when it was returned. It came back with a new barrel AND receiver (no punch marks, same bolt) and it shoots 75 grain Hornady VMaxs into very tiny groups.

I fired a total of 9 rounds working up the load. The first three had two in one hole and one a diameter out. The second three, 1/2 gr more, went into one .300" hole and the next three went into the same .300" hole so I quit testing and went shooting.

BUT... I will never buy another Remington again unless it is at least 20 years old. I have 700 BDL's that old and older and older XP-100's that are excellent and shoot great but the new stuff is ****.

This is corporate raiding at it's worst. We are selling our country to the highest bidder and giving the jobs to the mexicans. We don't deserve anything more than what we are getting because of greed and avarice on everyones part including me.

I must be lucky. I purchased a Sendero 7mm mag SF about 5 yrs ago, and a 220swift VSSF last summer, and both guns shoot one ragged hole at 100yds with factory ammo. Is the QC on these different?
confused.gif

I have a couple things I can gripe about with Rem. The VS-SF in 22-250 I bought for my son last spring was shooting very erratic, It would shoot a good group, around 1/2" let barrel cool a bit then the very same load, all over the place, well after a couple hundred rounds of fartin' around, I noticed the barrel had less clearance on the left side of the barrel channel, I then took my thunbhole HS stock off my 6mm Rem. and put the '250' reciever in it, same result, looked down the barrel and it looked like the barrel had a bend in it, didn't look as straight as my 6mm, not even close, called Rem. told'em what I had and Jess. said it's possible, but rare to have a bent barrel, send it back, she said. After going round and round with customer service, they kept telling me they were going to put a new stock on, wasn't bedded right, I said NO, I told'em what I had done with switching stocks and low and behold I get a call one morning from the Rem. repair shop, how 'bout we put a new barrel on for ya, that would be fine, when I got it back, whole new rifle, cool
cool.gif
Then as I was adjusting the trigger to a nice pull, after switching triggers with a buddy of mine, the bolt handle fell off, no problem, not going to shoot when it's -5 anyway, warranty covered it. But, my 6mm shoots like gang-busters, got that back in about '90' that got recalled for a soft trigger sear I think it's called,(the piece on top of the trigger assy.) But I really like the Rem. trigger, I have all of my Rem. rifles set @ 1.9lbs except my 6mm, 9oz. (Jewell). All in all, I think they're just as well built as any mass produced rifle. Jay
wink.gif

Just got off the phone with Renae from Remington, she said they're still using HS stocks on their VS & Sendero models, to put the kabosh on that rumor
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.