Please critique my build plan for .300WSM

Action: Surgeon 591SA WSM - Surgeon's reputation doesn't seem to be disputed by anyone. I'm only wondering if another action would reduce my weight. This one is 2lbs, 2.5oz.

Barrel: Pac-Nor, .300WSM, #4 sporter, 22" length,

Stock: McMillan Game Hunter Edge - I have the Hunter on my M70 Deer Rifle and love it. The Game Hunter looks like it will give me some of that same profile with a vertical grip.

Optics: I have a Zeiss HD5 5-25 on my .300WM. I'll use that unless someone wants to buy it with the M70. Warne rings.

All in, I get a weight of just under 7lbs, and my cost is just under $3K, without optics.

Here's a few thoughts I have on this build:

Have you ever held the new Game Hunter? I wonder if the fore end is going to be too thick? McMillan has not put up any specs/dimensions for this stock, I wish they had a top view of this stock ... but they do say it will handle up to a #8. With your #4 barrel it's going to leave quite a bit of stock material left over on each side of the barrel. I just put together a new build with a #4 contour, and my gunsmith suggested the Game Hunter, but did also say the fore end is thicker/wider than the game scout by approximately an extra 1/8" on each side of the barrel. That certainly does not sound like much, but will be noticeable when comparing the two.

I think McMillan's biggest complaint against the Game Scout was that the fore end could not handle larger than a #5 barrel. So they new Game Hunter and Game Warden are both stocks that are made to offer the A3 pistol grip in a hunting style that can also hold a larger contour barrel.

Anyways, just something to think about, so that when the stock shows up you are not disappointed that the stock is just larger than you were hoping for.

Also, how closely have you paid attention to weight? I kind of think sub 7 lbs sounds too light to me for what you're putting together. Even with a Titanium action I doubt this rifle would weigh less than 7 lbs.

I weighed all of the components on a rifle that I already own on a Borden long action, game scout edge fill, #4 contour barrel (27") and my rifle weighs in at 7 lbs 12 ounces. When I put everything together for my new build, I used all of the weights of the components since the new rifle will be very similar. Game Scout Edge fillk #4 contour 26", BDL hinged floorplate style bottom metal, wyatt box, but on a Titanium action that weighs 20.5 ounces, and using all of my other actual part weights, my build adds up to fall somewhere between 7.3 and 7.5 lbs, with the wildcard being not exactly sure how much the new barrel will weigh.

But I also have not run any numbers to see how much less your 22" barrel will weigh compared to my 26" barrel. Gotta be a few ounces of weight savings there. Also being a short action will save some weight on the stock over my build.

Big picture, your build looks awesome. Just trying to offer some feedback.

Action: That is a nice action, I have one. If you are going to Cerakote it, it has the proper clearances built in for that. You can save some weight by using a different action if you are willing to give up some features. If you load your own ammo, one thing you are going to wish for is a magazine longer than 3 inches. If you like the flat facets on the Defiance actions, I don't, their XM action with a 3.2" magazine length might deserve some consideration. I wouldn't give any consideration to a Titanium action because I think it is a poor choice for the application.

Barrel: May be a good barrel but it wouldn't be my choice. If I did use one I wouldn't use a standard contour because I don't like their standard breech diameters. My choice for a barrel would be a Krieger #4.5 stainless or a #4 chromoly. If you can talk them into swamping it for you, it will be 4-5 ounces lighter. I think 22" long is fine. I would also choose a 9" twist.

Brake: I would skip the brake. If I wasn't comfortable without one, I would use a smaller cartridge.

Trigger: Good choice. They are not made of aluminum.

Bottom Metal: I would use a center feed magazine with this cartridge. My current favorite bottom metal is Badger. It is available in aluminum and it is thick enough for some steel inserts under the screws heads.

Stock: That barreled action is going to look lost in that stock. If you want a vertical grip. consider the Game Scout.

Optics: I have no comment about optics.

FEENIX: thanks for the info on twist. I will look into it.

EDD: Thanks.
-I don't like the look of the defiance actions as much either, though that's a secondary consideration for me.
-I am going to Cerakote, so it's good to know there is clearance inside. I was considering masking the contact areas.
-The PTG MBE4 Mag is 2.995 inside. So close to three. I talked to them yesterday and it sounds like the advantage over their other mags is capacity.
-My reason for the brake is more about spotting shots than fear of recoil. I don't mind shooting my M70 300WM. In fact my featherweight .270 kicked harder with it's wood stock, and the McMillan tamed that quite a bit. I'm a big dude, so I can absorb it, but I also need a little bit bigger stock. I'm in love with my Edge Hunter on my .270, but I'd like a vert grip on the .300.
-I am open to losing the brake, which has me thinking of going to 24" on the barrel. I would just thread and cap the end in case I wanted the brake later, or to put a can on it after the HPA goes through.

Also, one more thought that just came to mind... Any of the top end actions are going to work great, but since you're building around a 300wsm, a short action is just a little too short and a long action is just a little too long.

Check out the new Borden Ridgeline action. It is a medium length action that Jim Borden designed specifically for the WSM cartridges. He also makes it in Titanium. And McMillan inlets for all of Borden's actions.

Also, one more thought that just came to mind... Any of the top end actions are going to work great, but since you're building around a 300wsm, a short action is just a little too short and a long action is just a little too long.

Check out the new Borden Ridgeline action. It is a medium length action that Jim Borden designed specifically for the WSM cartridges. He also makes it in Titanium. And McMillan inlets for all of Borden's actions.

A couple of years ago I was considering a Borden action. I called and left a message for someone to call me back. A day or two later Jim called me. By the time he got finished telling me how smart he was, I had forgotten what I called about.

A couple of years ago I was considering a Borden action. I called and left a message for someone to call me back. A day or two later Jim called me. By the time he got finished telling me how smart he was, I had forgotten what I called about.

YIKES, I guess that would do it for me too! :cool:

I think the action is the only place left where I can save substantial weight. I don't want a carbon barrel for a field gun. I don't need to go to a blind mag. I'm pretty sure the Jewells are aluminum, aren't they?

I Thought about a Deviant Hunter or Ultralight. But the Hunter would only save a couple of ounces. Where is the rest of the weight savings coming from?

My weight numbers are just estimates, so maybe I'm over estimating.

My scope only weighs 15 oz. and the barrel is 21" and a fluted #3. If you do the math, a carbon fiber won't save any weight over a fluted #3 anyway.
I think the TI action is almost a lb. less than a comparable steel.......Rich
p.s. I have a Timney Calvin Elite trigger.

We all have our opinions I guess. I have had many phone conversations with Jim and he has been nothing but friendly. Arrogant would be the last way I would describe him.

Aside from all that, his actions are second to none and he is the only one who offers an action length that is ideal for the WSM.

The Surgeon action is a modified short action that uses a 3.0 inch magazine. The Borden and the Defiance actions are an intermediate length action made for a 3.2 inch magazine.

The Surgeon action is a modified short action that uses a 3.0 inch magazine. The Borden and the Defiance actions are an intermediate length action made for a 3.2 inch magazine.

Why do I need the extra length? Max OACL is 2.860. Understanding that there are times to go beyond the published max, when am I going to need the extra 3/8"? Honest question.

Why do I need the extra length? Max OACL is 2.860. Understanding that there are times to go beyond the published max, when am I going to need the extra 3/8"? Honest question.

Some bullets shoot better closer to the lands, and you may get more velocity for the same pressure

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.