Plan "B" OTC Colorade elk Tags

HRstretch

I didn't draw for my choices for SE NM mule deer, so I am thinking of joining the 200,00 hunters that hunt elk in Colorado with OTC tags. This would be my first elk hunt and first time to Colorado hunting, so any information on units would be helpful. I am not expecting any one to divulge a honey hole, just looking for good general information to help narrow down the search.

Background on myself. 55 years old, need to loose weight, hunted mainly Texas, with two hunts for mule deer in Central and SE New Mexico. I will be coming from the DFW area, so a flat lander by every stretch of the imagination. Have a private shooting range that I shoot out to the maximum range of 950 yards, so depending on weather conditions, I am comfortable to make some long shots.

I would prefer to be able to sleep near a road or trail head and walk in to a hunting area, but can pack a light tent into a spot depending on weather forecast.

Not a trophy hunter, but would like to take a mature animal at least. My thrill is in the hunt and overall experience. At home I hunt lots of culls and let others that need the big horns enjoy that part of hunting. I find it as much a challenge hunting for a dink mature animal to take out of the gene pool or that old doe that blows your hunt every other set.

I don't want to sound like I'm 'raining on your parade', but if it's at all feasible, try to find an outfitted hunt that meets your budget. Aside from the issues of never having been to the country, have you thought about how you'd get an elk out if you killed one. You're not likely going to do it on your back given age, physical condition and altitude. Just my .02.

I wouldn't try to talk you out of it either, but will give you fair warning: wyosteve has a point about a lonesome pack out. I did it a few years back and it was the most physically demanding thing I have ever done! A little background; at the time I was in what I consider pretty good shape. I'm 5'7" and usually a lean-muscular 210 lbs. I'm a grunt by trade and have to be in good running/rucking shape. At the time I was running at least 5 miles 3 days a week and doing a hard paced 8-12 mile ruck with 60 lbs every Wednesday. On top of that I hit the weights HARD!
I shot a good sized bull opening morning and it took me until 12:00 that night to pack it out about 2 miles. Mind you these were hard miles and I had no time to acclimate to the 9,500 foot altitude. When I walked up to the downed animal my first though was "Oh ****, what did I get myself into?!"
Apparently I'm not very bright as I tried to do it again this past season with only being about 70% after a knee surgery.
I'm far from being an expert on anything, but will give you a few pointers.
Get into the best shape you can!
Get a good pack.
Show up to your hunting grounds as early before the hunt as possible, if you aren't used to altitude you don't know how it will effect you as an individual. You can start getting altitude sickness at 8,000 feet.

Thank you both for your concern for my well being. Just an FYI, I would be accompanied by my BIL for saftey, extra eyes and most importantly an extra back for the hopefully eventual pack out. I am not totally inexperienced with hunting in the mountains, as I have hunted New Mexico twice for mule deer but not over 6400 feet in elevation.

I have two quality, external frame back packs. The elevation is going to be a concern, but I can plan on allowing for 2 or 3 days before the hunt to help get acclamated and get a feel for my hunt area. I have some family that have hunte# Colorado for many years in the past and will pick there brain for advise.

Glad you have support. If I go solo again I will probably bring my lab, I will admit that it got creepy at night when I was at least a couple miles from anyone else.
Another problem I had was that some of the locals didn't like me in their "favorite hunting area". They sabotaged some of my stuff, I have the feeling it wouldn't have happened if I weren't alone. Didn't want to push my luck with them considering they had me outnumbered 6 to 1 and I was over 20 miles away from the nearest real road.

Try to find a place with less roads the better. With all the resources out there anymore (Google Earth, onxmaps) finding public land isn't the challenge it used to be. Atvs are a good tool but very often abused. Get away from roads and atv trails. The big blocks of forest service and blm are good options but expect lots of other hunters. Makes sure you give yourself time to acclimate to the altitude. I live at 6000ft and have gotten altitude sickness at 11000ft before. Not fun. Good luck

I would agree with others comments above. Elevation will get you more than the terrain itself. Do what you can to be there as early as possible to acclimate and do some exploring to find out what you can do. Training and preparation will help in spades regardless of your age or fitness level.

My personal opinion as far as location, stay away from I25 and 70. Anywhere close to these areas you will have quite a bit of competition. Not saying there won't be good hunting, but being unfamiliar with the area and dealing with pressured animals won't make your trip any easier. I drive about 4 hours to hunt elk in state. Best thing for me is we may only see 2-3 hunters each day.

As far as packing the animal out. I learned quickly to find hunting partners with mules.

Just my 2 cents.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.