Pistol Hunting info request.

Ernie will steer you right. Hunted with him in Wyoming a few years back and helped me when I was listening to him help others shooting farther than they were used to.
You should have no problem with the .243 in a XP. I shoot a .243 in a MGM Encore 15" barrel with 100 grain Nosler Partition hand loads and have taken deer in OK and hogs in south TX near Campwood in the hills. I shoot a Contender in 6JDJ with 100grn Partitions and have taken hogs in OK and some **** big Whitetail doe in KS (140 lb. +) with the 6JDJ. It is not near as hot as a good 243. Shot placement is the key.
On shooting rests, I use a bipod in my tree stands because the 3rd leg on the tripods get in the way of my feet. In my pop up blinds and in brush blinds on the ground I use the three legged BogPod. I rest the forend on the yolk on the tripod, place my lefthand on the back leg of the tripod where I can rest the butt of the XP or Contender on my hand or wrist for rear support. I have taken antelope with my XP'S out to 405 yards in Wyoming.
Mike

Don't tell the KY whitetail I'm killing them with an 80gr bullet out of my 15" 243win Encore....They seem to either drop or run about 30yd after being hit in the lungs/top of the heart even out to 240yds the old 8pt this fall was the longest tracking job of the season at 30yd of blood trail Ray Charles could follow.
I've got a shelf which hangs off my shooting rail of a blind, if ground hunting I use a primos trigger stick and small sand bag.

I'm sorry it took so long but the .223 did the trick back in January. I have been dealing with health issues but through God's love and healing hands I survived my strokes and working hard to be a better man both spiritually and physically.
20200103_174047.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.