Pillar bedding necessay?

j_unzicker

Hello,
I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS 7RM. I have taken the plastic stock off and replaced it with Remington's Laminate Stock. I want to get the action bedded and my question is, "will pillar bedding make any significant difference with this set up? Should I just get the action glass bedded or should I get both?"

Hello,
I just purchased a Remington 700 SPS 7RM. I have taken the plastic stock off and replaced it with Remington's Laminate Stock. I want to get the action bedded and my question is, "will pillar bedding make any significant difference with this set up? Should I just get the action glass bedded or should I get both?"

All stocks can benefit from pillar bedding because all of the materials used in making stocks
can compress over time reducing torque on the action screws.

Pillars allow for a metal to metal to metal fit keeping the stock material from being compressed.

Pillar bedding or bedding may not improve accuracy of the first couple of shots but it will improve
the consistency and this improves the accuracy.

I pillar bed "ALL" actions to eliminate one source of problems.

Bedding is good pillar bedding is better.

J E CUSTOM

Your first step is a good one. I personally prefer a good synthetic stock the majority of the time but a good laminated wood stock is my next choice. While the laminated stocks have epoxy impregenated in them, they can still have hard/soft spote in them. Even the laminated wood can compress over time, so pillar job helps.

A proper plain bedding job is better than factory inletting. A proper pillar bedding job is better than a plain bedding job. It's just a matter of to what lengths do you want to go for the most consistent accuracy over time.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts