Pics of highlights from coues whitetail hunt.

Michael Eichele

The rifle range, or archery range or behind the co
Well my annual winter retreat is over. I did not harvest a coues deer this season but got lots of sun and fun in the south west! Tempratures were very hot, (60-70 degrees).Took lots of pictures of cool stuff. Most pictures taken were through a Swarovski 20-60x spotting scope with a digital camera. Most were taken a long ways away in very hot air or near dark. This is the reason some pictures are of only fair quality instead of perfect. Below is a sampling of my hunt. Enjoy!

Here is one of 4 bucks I was hunting. This picture was taken at over 1300 yards. He was about a 80" 8 point.

363791.jpg

A doe feeding.

363790.jpg

Some of the country I was hunting.

363788.jpg

Me in a quandry over how to approach a nice buck within bow range!

363789.jpg

Some gear that makes it possible.

363787.jpg

A quail. These are elusive!

363785.jpg

A bedded fawn and if you look closley behind it, you will see its mother.

363784.jpg

Another bedded doe.

363783.jpg

My cousin's 103" coues buck.

363786.jpg

A big bedded bull elk. Estimated at 340" B&C.

363782.jpg

363781.jpg

Here is another bull that is broken up. Look at how long his right main beam is!

363780.jpg

The kicker bull again.

363779.jpg

363778.jpg

Yet another nice bull pops out! Estimated at 350-360 B&C if not broken.

363777.jpg

363776.jpg

A shame you did not hunt/harvest anything but at least you saw plenty of game. Nice pics.

Really beuatiful pictures, especially, the quail. The just scenery picture was good too.

What kind of bow were you using?

You can get some Rust O Leum spray paint primer and apply it to the little stool legs as camoflage. It will scrap off but works for a while.

JD338,

I was hunting central Arizona. January archery "any antlered deer" but was specifecly targeting coues whitetails. Had a mulie stepped out....I would not have thought twice. For the record, I didnt see any mulies.

Buffalobob,

Thanks for the tip on the stool leggs! This was the first time I used this walkstool. Boy have I been missing out! I can glass all day without a sore butt or back! The tri-pod with the ultra smooth and positive ball head from the outdoorsmans helps alot also.

Those are some huge bulls! Too bad you have to win the lottery just to apply for a nonresident elk tag in Arizona. That is a beautiful Coues mount also. Nothing trips my trigger like the sight of a big bull elk. I have yet to shoot a bull (killed a few cows), but had the heart pounding pleasure of having a 340+ bull at 10 yards while bowhunting for mulies a couple of years ago. Better luck next year with the Coues deer! Sam

Sambo,

I am with ya on the sight of big bull elk. I am a beyond help elkoholic! I have been lucky enough to have drawn 2 Az bull rut tags. I missed a solid 350+ bull (6x6) the first year and bagged a nice 5x5 on the last day of my 04 hunt. I was in search of a toad and settled for the 5x5 on the season closer. The area I took the photos was the perfect place for long range hunting. They were all in a huge canyon type area down in the nasty parts. I was perched on an outcropping of flat rocks that you could lay on, bi-pod extended....All one has to do is win a permit. Shots on these bulls would have been 700-900 yards.

320065.jpg

364143.jpg

364145.jpg

Dave,

This was the first time I have had these to the field. They are the EL 10x42's. They are worth every penny. They are noticably brighter and crisper than even the SLC's, which my cousin there has both the 8x30 SLC and the 15x56 SLC for a side by side comparison. After using my EL's for an hour and switching to the 15's it took my eyes 15 minutes or so to get used to the 15's. When I used the 15's for an hour and switched to the EL's, there was no need to adjust to them, it was just a perfect transition! Although the 15's had a advantage over the 10x at over 1000 yards for glassing up whitetails. I glassed for 10 hours a day for 7 days with no headaches or eye strain. Of course it helps having them mounted on a tripod. You can glass with the sun in your face with out any glare or distortion, and they see deep into the shadows very well.

Regards!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.