2005 Highlights from VA

oneshot976

Well I have finally taken the time to learn how to post pictures so I wanted to share my 2005 Virginia Deer Season highlights with you. I save the best for last so I will start with my 10pt. This is one of those stories of it's better to be lucky than good. This was the second day of rifle season and it had poored the rain all day long. I spent about 5 hours in the tree lounge seeing only a couple of does and questioning my mental stability the whole time. My buddy killed a small buck chasing a doe (you can see it in the left side of the picture) I then decided to get down and take advantage of the wet conditions to stalk a little bit. After covering a couple of miles with only seeing one small buck. I decided to go to the truck and ride to another part of my hunting area. After about a ten minute truck ride in with the heat kicking I didn't really even feel like getting out of the truck, but at that point I was already cold and wet and decided to give it one last try for the day. I had about 1 hour of legal shooting light left and wanted to make the best of it. When I got out of the truck and walked about the corner of my grandpa's garage I took a look through the bino's and saw 2 large does about 300 yards ahead in a very narrow opening in the pines. Being the peak of the rut I decided to close the gap and get to a better vantage point to glass a larger area. It took about 5 minute to get into position to start glassing agian. As I scanned the area I saw a small buck and a couple of does, when all of a sudden out of a brush pile in the middle of this small, well hidden field stood a very nice shooter buck. Not a true long shot about 315 yards the Remington 700 Ti 300 SAUM did its job. I was just in the right place at the right time. Never give up no matter how bad the weather.
000_0317.jpg

Now for the best one of all. My son and his big doe. We were setting in a Buddy Ladder stand on Thanksgiving Day enjoying the sun shine and the squirrels. We were having a discussion about why he could not shoot a squirrel with his 243, when I saw a big doe working up the hill about 150 yards in front of us. I tried very hard to get him on the deer while in the tree but he could not get a steady aim with his rifle in the tree. This is my fault however, because he was using a Remington 700 varmiter 243 that his Papa gave him and we cut an old stock off to make it fit him. He shoots this rilfe great at 100 yards but it's not exactly a tree stand gun for him due to the weight. He has a 243 youth Remington but he was not as confident with it as he was the varmiter. Anyway, I decided the only way to get him the shot was to get down and use the hill in front of us for cover to move into a good position. The deer was just taking her time browesing. We got down a crawled about 50 yards up the hill and got into position. By this time the the deer was about 100 yards out (perfect). I set his rifle up on the bipod and he got on the scope. She was in and out of some brush and trees and not giving him a good shot. She finally came to a stop with her head neck and a little bit of chest out from behind a tree but covering the vitals. Eyan said "Dad I have the scope on her neck can I shoot?" I did not want him to at first but it was now or never because she was about to head into a thicket to be gone for good. I thought about all the practice he had and consistantly shooting sub-moa 3 shot groups with this rifle. So I gave him the green light and with the crack of the rifle she hit the ground in her tracks.(or as E-Man says "She Smacked the ground Daddy!!") After all the hooping and hollowing was over we went over to check out his trophy and as you can see in the pictures he made a great shot. All I can say is practice, practice, practice!!! He loves to shoot and seems to be a natural, we put in a lot of trigger time and are realy looking forward to warm weather to do some ground hog hunting. The young ones are the future of the sport the we all love so much and I can say my little man is hooked for life.
This doe was a lot more important to me than my buck and I would give up several more nice bucks to watch my son kill another doe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

000_0329.jpg

000_0327.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!
Oneshot

Screech, I really like my Titanium alot it shoots about 3/4 MOA, but I want to get it over to Shawn and have him work it over for me.

Thanks Shawn, I have to agree thier is nothing like hunting with your kids. I am sure that one day he will say to me Daddy I want go to the ridge tops with you and shoot the Edge, and off we will go.
Any news on the 338 WSM?

Thanks,
Oneshot

looking at that thumbs up picture made me chuckle a bit,he's almost the spittin image of you now. that's a great story, congratsulations!

Thanks for sharing this with us. It brings back some of my best hunting memories, watching my boys take their first Deer. They still hunt with me when their activities don't get in the way & I hope this tradition gets passed on with their kids in the future.

It's funny how when we get a little older the greatest joy is no longer in our kill. Introducing someone new to our sport, young or old leaves you w/a smile on your face!!

Congrats to you and your son!!!!

OneShot,
I have a son going on three (middle name Hunter after his great grand dad). Your story has me a very anxious fellow. How old is Eyan? How old was he when he first did stand time with you without a weapon? I'm in Alamance County N.C.---whereabouts are you? I hunt long range up in Rockbridge County Va.---where were you and little oneshot? Great Season and great to have pics of it?

Dimecovers3,
Eyan is 6 he started putting time in the stand with me when he was 4 and he loved it. Several people have told me that 6 was to early but he has proven to be a pretty good shot and he is always with me or my Dad. I was in the same boat you are in and couldn't wait to get him in the woods with me. He did and still does a lot of knapping while we are out but that is okay I just enjoy having him with me. I live in Iredell county NC. We were in Grayson county VA on my families place where I do my long range hunting as well.
Thanks,
Oneshot

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.