• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Picking a new scope

Benellijake

Dear Long Range Hunter's

I would like your opinion on buying my next scope.

In the past my 1st scope was a VX2 Then moved up to a VX3 4.5 -14. Great scopes and had them a long time. Seems like I move up as my budget and knowledge allows. I just had a 7mm built and I am looking for a scope for it. I prefer to shoot game under 400 yards. It will be my elk rifle. What would you recommend? I have a $1200 limit

Thanks again

Benellijake

Easy....find a Leupold scope you like for $1200 or less...fire dot....if you are only shooting 400 yards with a 7rm....what a waste of a rifle....
Heck..send me a check for 1200 and i will send you a scope......but you dont get to keep the change.....lol.....

I picked up a couple of vx3i Lrp 6-20-50 but the 4-14 is plenty too for 400 yards. I take my 10x swfa out beyond 700 so far. You might look at the nightforce shv as well

Thanks

Buck

Easy....find a Leupold scope you like for $1200 or less...fire dot....if you are only shooting 400 yards with a 7rm....what a waste of a rifle....
Heck..send me a check for 1200 and i will send you a scope......but you dont get to keep the change.....lol.....
Heck..send me a check for 1200 and i will send you a scope......but you dont get to keep the change.....lol.

Thanks for the reply. It's a nice rifle 26" Krieger, timney trigger and a custom stock. I'm certain it will do the 800 - 1000 yards. It's just when it comes to big game I keep it 400 yds

For a carry rifle hunting tough terrain like higher elevations for elk, I really like the Leupold VX-R 4-12 Firedot (40mm or 50mm) objective scopes. I personally went with the 40mm objective as it's less bulky. For 400 yard and under shots, 12X is plenty. They come with the CDS coupon so you can put exposed, custom turrets on them too. I believe these are actually being phased out but they can be found for prices well under your budget. They have 30mm tubes too. Just a suggestion.

I have a wide variety of scopes, for the 1200 and under budget I would have to say the SIG Whiskey 5 is an excellent, feature rich scope. I have killed deer at 500 and 680 with mine and had cold bore hits on steel out to 1238. I'm a Nightforce guy but for the money SIG is worth a look. I also have a VX-6 that I really like. It'll eat up most of your budget but you can't go wrong with either

I have a wide variety of scopes, for the 1200 and under budget I would have to say the SIG Whiskey 5 is an excellent, feature rich scope. I have killed deer at 500 and 680 with mine and had cold bore hits on steel out to 1238. I'm a Nightforce guy but for the money SIG is worth a look. I also have a VX-6 that I really like. It'll eat up most of your budget but you can't go wrong with either
Thanks. I will look at the Sig

Nightforce SHV 5-20, look for the newer model with the exposed turrets, no need in my opinion to pay extra for the illuminated reticle version.
They were designed for the price point you are looking for.

Don't know if you have looked at Swarovski. I will also agree with dave300 that the Nightforce SHVs are great buys. Can even find one on this site. However, IF you know about Swaros, they too are fine scopes. Not pushing it, but I have a Z5 , 5x25x52 with BRX reticle. If you want it, $1100. and it's yours. Plus shp. But keep looking. I will say I have not bought a Leupold in years. Better buys and scopes out there today.

I m a Swarovski can but there are plenty of other great scopes out there. Good the distance your shooting the one you have is plenty good.

Tikkamike. I picked up a Leupold 8.5-25 FFP. I got it before I read your post. I hope it works well. I will contact you when I need another scope. Thanks

Recent Posts