Picatinny Rail with or without built in moa?

Westernhunter6

Ok guys, I need your help. Maybe I'm being thick headed, but I am having a hard time deciding if I'm gaining anything by going with a rail with built in moa.

My rifle is a Fierce Carbon Edge 7mm rem mag with a 26" barrel. The scope I bought and am going to mount on this rifle is a Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 with the windplex reticle. I plan on ordering a steel picatinny rail from Murphy precision and already have Leupold PRW2 rings I plan on using. This setup is going to be my go to hunting and practice setup. For hunting, I do not plan on shooting past 700yds, but I would like to practice and learn to hit steel consistently out to at least 1000yds.

Here's where I'm stuck. Murphy Precision offers 0, 10, and 20 moa rails. I was planning on getting the 10 moa rail, but got to thinking about what I'm gaining by doing that. If the scope dial (ZL2) only has 2 revolutions of adjustment… am I gaining anything by having moa built into the rail? If this does give me more than 2 revolutions, then am I just counting the clicks to know where I'm at past the 2nd revolution?

The closer your turrets are to center the better everything in the scope is. I'll bet you can get to 1000 with a "0". If you plan to shoot animals @700 I would choose a "10" I think if you expect to regularly shoot that far. I have never seen this written, but I swear "Pointability" suffers at short range with a 20 min base. Might be me but I swear it is harder to get on a moving animal at normal hunting ranges. Maybe its me, but it just seems that rifles with angled bases just don't point well. I went back to a "0" on my 28 because of this.

The CDS ZL2 turret limits you to 38 MOA of dial up. 20 MOA on the first turn and 18 on the second. Depending on where your scope is zeroed, in relation to the center of your scope travel, a canted base may gain you absolutely nothing at all.

Ok guys, I need your help. Maybe I'm being thick headed, but I am having a hard time deciding if I'm gaining anything by going with a rail with built in moa.

My rifle is a Fierce Carbon Edge 7mm rem mag with a 26" barrel. The scope I bought and am going to mount on this rifle is a Leupold VX-5 HD 3-15x44 CDS-ZL2 with the windplex reticle. I plan on ordering a steel picatinny rail from Murphy precision and already have Leupold PRW2 rings I plan on using. This setup is going to be my go to hunting and practice setup. For hunting, I do not plan on shooting past 700yds, but I would like to practice and learn to hit steel consistently out to at least 1000yds.

Here's where I'm stuck. Murphy Precision offers 0, 10, and 20 moa rails. I was planning on getting the 10 moa rail, but got to thinking about what I'm gaining by doing that. If the scope dial (ZL2) only has 2 revolutions of adjustment… am I gaining anything by having moa built into the rail? If this does give me more than 2 revolutions, then am I just counting the clicks to know where I'm at past the 2nd revolution?
With 20 MOA cant. This is best described by an optical SME ...

20 MOA.jpg

I always buy one with at least 20 MOA if not more.We always dial up and not down or 99% of the time.
Just yesterday I ran out of elevation shooting at 800 yards with a 308 Win and 185 Juggernaut and a Vortex Diamondback Tactical scope getting it dialed for a friend.His loads were running avg 2683 fps.I hope this helps you.He had a Zero MOA picatinny rail.

Last edited:
I once put a 20 moa base on a 308; it resulted in the point of impact at 100 yards being over 4" high with the scope adjustment turned all the way down. I can't remember the scope that I had on the rifle at the time, but I went to a 0 moa base for this particular one.

My scope didnt have enough elevation adjustment to allow a 600+ yard shot on a buck of a lifetime. When I got home I installed a 20moa picatinny and now have plenty of elevation adjustment for those longer shots.

My scope didnt have enough elevation adjustment to allow a 600+ yard shot on a buck of a lifetime. When I got home I installed a 20moa picatinny and now have plenty of elevation adjustment for those longer shots.

Well, if you didn't know that before going on the hunt then you shouldn't have been taking the shot anyway.

I always put 20MOA rails on my rifles and have never had trouble running out of adjustment with that set up. 7mm will get you out there, so the 20MOA will give you the option to take full advantage of that cartridge.

With 20 MOA cant. This is best described by an optical SME ...

View attachment 360355
Feenix is correct here, this scope has 75 moa of total travel, with a 0 moa base, with a 100 yard zero, most likely you will not have the full 38 moa of dialing capabilities available to you. Go 20 moa base and call it good, if keeping the reticle centered when parking it, dial up 15 moa or so and store it.
I have a couple rifles utilizing almost all of the scope travel, I can hit close or far, but never put the rifles in the safe with the scope zeroed. i'd imagine glass quality will dictate the images you see up close, or at distance.

I didn't take the shot. I made the mental note to install a 20 moa rail.
What he is saying is if you had tried to practice at 600+ you would have known that your equipment wasn't capable. Instead, you went into the hunt without any idea of your maximum capable range. You basically just told us that you would have taken a longer shot at game than you ever have with that rifle without validating its ability.

Recent Posts