Phoneskope?

TrentK16

I got a spotting scope for Christmas and I am looking into getting a phoneskope. For those of you who have experience with them, do you guys see a drop off in quality of photo taking pics with a life proof case on? I've always ran life proofs on my iPhone's and I'm curious if I should get the adapter that fits to the lifeproof or not? I want to get the best pics I can out of the set up and I'm not sure if the clear plastic over the lens in the case will have a negative effect? Thanks for your help and I hope that makes sense!

Trent

I have experience with an iPhone using the Phoneskope system. I would not recommend plastic over the front lens of the camera. This will always deteriorate picture quality. The system works very well but can be a bit finicky to get set up. The picture quality is actually quite good if you can get it still enough. Will you be creating large high quality prints from these pictures, no, but for spotting, recording or taking snapshots it works fine.

I think this will replace my spotting scope soon though
The Nikon P900: The New King of the Superzooms | explora

I have experience with an iPhone using the Phoneskope system. I would not recommend plastic over the front lens of the camera. This will always deteriorate picture quality. The system works very well but can be a bit finicky to get set up. The picture quality is actually quite good if you can get it still enough. Will you be creating large high quality prints from these pictures, no, but for spotting, recording or taking snapshots it works fine.

I think this will replace my spotting scope soon though
The Nikon P900: The New King of the Superzooms | explora

Thanks for the response. Thats what I was afraid of. I like having the lifeproof on to protect the phone from the elements but I guess if I needed to take a pic I could just take it out for a minute.
Thanks,
Trent

I have a phone skope on my galaxy s4, and I like how it works. I can't see a plastic cover not distorting or degrading the picture somewhat...but I like it how it is. I'll post a video of a hunt I did this year, this is of my cousin shooting a buck at 418 yards. Spotting scope is a nikon prostaff 5 20-48 I believe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=blGhz1NTvTE

I have a phone skope on my galaxy s4, and I like how it works. I can't see a plastic cover not distorting or degrading the picture somewhat...but I like it how it is. I'll post a video of a hunt I did this year, this is of my cousin shooting a buck at 418 yards. Spotting scope is a nikon prostaff 5 20-48 I believe

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=blGhz1NTvTE

So just to be clear. Are you running a phone case on your phone while this video taken?

So just to be clear. Are you running a phone case on your phone while this video taken?

Negative. This is just the phone scope case that mounts to the eye piece mount on your spotting scope, there is nothing between my camera lens and the glass on the spotting scope.

But I do have to say, I really love this thing. Have videoed a few prairie dog hunts, with....explosive results ha ha.

Negative. This is just the phone scope case that mounts to the eye piece mount on your spotting scope, there is nothing between my camera lens and the glass on the spotting scope.

But I do have to say, I really love this thing. Have videoed a few prairie dog hunts, with....explosive results ha ha.

Oh gotcha, yeah the quality I think turned out great for a phone. What was all that shaking? Was that wind or from you messing with the tripod?

Oh gotcha, yeah the quality I think turned out great for a phone. What was all that shaking? Was that wind or from you messing with the tripod?

I moved the tripod a few times, but the shaking present during the shot and such was from the 10 mph quarter value wind we had going on

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.