PERFECT GLASS... on a budget!

superlite17

Hello all and it is great to see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif you all again, have been really busy. I purchased a Savage 12FVSS in 22-250 after much discussion and research here. Now I need a scope, and many of you will remember discussion about optics recently for my other rifle. I have had Leupold, Bushnell, etc. and now have a Conquest... thanks to ALL of you! AND, it truely is am awesome piece of glass, expensive, but none the less, AWESOME!

While I know this is gonna offend about 75% of our general population, I have to put it out there that TO ME Leupold and even the Bushnell 3200 & 4200's are over priced and over-rated. Just my opinion. I have always had Leupold but my last Mk III 4.5X... LR was no better than the glass in a top of the line Simmons or Tasco. Now the Zeiss... it is awesome, but I cannot step up again.

I need long range glass for what will mostly be a varmint gun. I like the tactical reticles for this kind of work, but I do not know a lot about what is available. Everyone's suggestion will be the Super but it is out because i need adjustable. I need to be in the $200- $300 range, and at the expense of my marriage, I could go up to $500 for the PERFECT glass. I believe ideal for me would be some undiscovered, unknown future Zeiss... no, in all seriousness maybe somthing really nice that is either a GREAT DEAL or Unknown and Underrated. Anybody know of somthing that might fit the bill???

Thank You ALL in Advance! Rod

[ QUOTE ]
nikon buckmaster w/ side-focus- 6x18-40 -clicks are right on and repeatable -under $300..

[/ QUOTE ]

I have not gotten a 40mm in years...is the drop off in light transmission significant?

If you can swing it, I would get a Meopta 4-16x44. There is one on ebay for $525. A little more than you want to spend but you will not beat it for under a $1000 or more! I have 7 or 8 Zeiss from VM/V to Conquest and the Meopta is as clear and bright as any of them. (The VM/V might be a little better but not $1000 better)

So far tracking as been right on. Mine has the mil-dot and it has small diamonds for the dots. It has a 30mm tube and target turrets.

It is for sure the "under the radar scope" that people over look. Get one and you will be amazed at how much scope 525 bucks will buy!

[ QUOTE ]
I have 7 or 8 Zeiss from VM/V to Conquest and the Meopta is as clear and bright as any of them. (The VM/V might be a little better but not $1000 better)

[/ QUOTE ]Given that Meopta do alot of the Conquest - that's no BIG surprise. At the IWA the new Victories dis not seem as washed out as older ones.

Are any IOR's in your price range?

They only come with a fine reticle (no mildot) but Cabela's Alaskan Guide Premium scopes come in 6.5-20x40mm. I have one on my 204 and the quality of the glass is on par with the VXIIIs I looked at. And they only cost about $350 so they are worth a look.

I have a Cabela's Alaskan Guide 6.5x2, 44 mm I think?? Sells new for $379.00 or so. Mil Dot reticle. It is quite nice. Glass is clear and very satisfactory for my eyes. The +/- diopter adjustment is a great feature. I have used it long range to 800 yds on a 270 Win with great success. Great for yotes.

However, I'm pretty much down on 2nd Focal Plane reticles with dots or BCDs and have switched to a fixed 16X Super Sniper on the 270 AM. It's just what the doctor order for my specific use.

If you're interested in the 6.5x20 gimme a holler.

Alright, I'll probably get booted off this site for recommending this, but try the Bushnell Banner 6-24 x 40mm with AO and mil-dot reticle (item #71-6244).
I just purchased a used Savage 12FV with a Banner 6-18x50, completely expecting to throw the scope in the trash. After shooting the rifle and using the scope, it's staying!
FWIW, I've got both Leup. and Zeiss glass on my other rifles, but for a varmint rig I'm satisfied with the Banner right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.