Peacemaker,Glengary,WV

WVGuns

Well the verdict is in and here goes my opinion of the new Peacemaker shooting facility in Glengary WV. Keep in mind this is my opinion only but i tell it like it is like it or not. They were having some kinda pistol competition going on there today which was cool, but the part i didn't understand was the road to the pistol range went right in front of the 1000 yard range shooting benches??? Is it me or does that not make any sense. With all the dirt moving that has been done there a lil thought i surely would have made that road go in behind the benches. Maybe theres other agendas or circumstances where they couldn't. So if anyone wanted to shoot the 1000 yard range while there is a pistol competition ur screwed i guess. Now onto the public\member 250 yard range. For the amount of dough these guys want to join i was certainly dissappointed to see a 10 bench 100 yard range. With only 1 of those benches able to shoot the 250. Other wise you had to lay down and shoot. This place is fairly new and i'm sure as time goes on they will expand and have nicer larger places to shoot. Until they do i'll keep shooting on my 100 yard range behind my house. Another thing if you volunteer u get 200$ off your membership and various other discounts on ammo, firearms and such. I think the deal is you have to volunteer a min of 5.5 hours a week which i figure with weather holidays etc you would be there 40 or so weeks a year. Multiply that by 5.5 and divide by the 200 ur saving on ur membership and you make a whooping 1dollar 1 cent an hour.........With gas at 4 bucks a gallon i just can't justify this place at all. Not now at least. Gun shop had about 15 or 20 pistols at most prob the same amount of long guns. Other members let me know what i'm missing cause this was my first trip there did i miss something or totally slam this place for no reason. Give me ur thoughts
progress.gif

I just joined this past summer, and have shot there a total of 0 times so far. I don't believe it was even open yet, as I joined in September, and in any case they close for the winter in the middle of November. It's slated to open again next month from what I read. It was kind of pricey, and your post doesn't give me the warm fuzzies on what it was banged up to be, but I have to judge for myself after I've at least shot there for an entire day. If they can pull together the electronic sighting system on the long range, the trap and skeet, pistol, etc all in one place it will be worth it to me.

The only concern I would have is the place being overpopulated and out-infastructured. Another thing I was hoping they would do is having some tactical competitions other than 3 gun, but we'll see.

Its open, i promise you that. I spent over two hours there walking around talking to various people and driving around seeing what they had to offer. I live about 30 min away and wouldn't waste my time YET. Now maybe in another year or so i'll regret and eat every word i've said. But if i'm paying the big bucks to shoot and lets take this past sat for example 1000 yard range closed due to pistol competition and **** poor thought. Like i said before the road to the pistol range goes right in front of the 1k benches....lmfao. The public\member 250 yard range was dam near full i think there was 2 open benches. But again 10 benches for a supposed world class facility........come on guys gimme a break. And only 1 maybe 2 benches could you see the 250 yard targets cause of the way it was set up. So if 10 people off the street pay their 10 bucks and you a high paying member wanna shoot i guess your screwed. I think it has the potential to be the best place to shoot on the east coast, but in my opinion it needs much more work. All that land they have and put a road in front of the 1k shooting benches....Still ****es me off. I had prob 10-15 guys i work with all pumped and ready to join NOT NOW NOT YET

Hmm, that doesn't sound promising so far. I'll see for myself after I get out there to shoot. After all, I joined for a year so I'll at least use it up and when the time comes I may or may not renew depending. So far it doesn't sound all that, but give it a little time - they just opened and they're still building the place up, so they may improve upon a lot over the course of this year. Did you ask about the road in front of the 1K range, and whether or not they plan to actually keep it there? My guess is that they'll be re-doing that if they can at all. I can tell you that when I joined last September it was still a work in progress and I wasn't expecting much from a brand new foundation. I mentioned my big concern was the place getting overpopulated and not having enough infrastructure to support it. I'd like to eventually see alot of variety as far as shooting interests to attend to - such as tactical competitions with outside organizations, long range competitions on moving steel, etc. But, you can't have it all anywhere, so I'll take what I can get as far as the best hopeful place to combine quite a bit under one roof for now.

I agree i think once the place gets some time under it belt hopefully it will grow to accomidate. Right now i would take that 250 yard 10 bench range and make it the public only range after of course they get something else opened. They have like 500 acreas there. To me it looks like a lil more thought could have went along way. Again there may be things i don't know about keeping them from adding a bigger more bench range for members only. To me it seems like a simple fork in the road at the 1k range would have made sense. Go behing the benches to the pistol range or hang a right and go to the 1k range. Again i don't know **** just my opinion only of course. So much potential there thats for sure.

Got some crazy rules.

To shoot LR you have to zero at 100 and must be under 1", shoot over their chrono, have drop chart in MOA (mils not allowed), trigger cannot be over 1.5 lbs yada yada.

Our 1k BR club tried to shoot one match there and the BS was just too much.

So back to White Horse WV.

I guess that's another thing I noticed when I was briefed in - the rules seemed a bit ridiculous, in my opinion. Granted, safety is of paramount importance, but it can get to a point where it's over-stifling and you can't enjoy yourself anymore or feel like you're making progress because of it.

Bounty hunter wheres White Horse? What kind of facilty do they have there? I don't know who the brains is behind peacemaker but someone should step in now before its too late. The place has soo much to offer under the right management. I think they should lower the membership fee as well. I would love to volunteer there but 5.5 hours a week all year for 200 off my membership fee ***. gun)

I'm giving it another year. Will be there tomorrow for a charity shoot. I see alot of upside potential and it's close by.....but the criticisms see justified.

Wvguns---like you I live near the facility---im in Winchester. I want it to work. I've been there frequently for sporting clays and their classes look good. I'm not quite committed with the program. Are there alternative places to shoot at 500-600 near us? Thx

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts